outboard engine for cape dory 26

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

brianmurphy

outboard engine for cape dory 26

Post by brianmurphy »

I have a cape dory 26 for the past 26 years. I am looking to repower. I have looked at the new yamaha, honda and tohutsu 9.9 hp, X-long but they are to large for the transom well. However, tohutsu has a 6 hp X-long that will fit but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure it will be enough power to push a 5000 lbs. boat . I would appreciate any comments and advice you can offer. thanks
Brian
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

Repower

Post by Jay B. »

I know that a Nissan (same as Tohatsu and Mercury) 6hp pushes my CD25 just fine. My slip neighbor has a CD26 with a 8hp.
CDSOA Member Number 1252
drb9

My 26

Post by drb9 »

I'm Jay's slip-neighbor. I have a Yamaha 8hp, with the 25" shaft. It fits, if you put spacers to bring the mounting board forward about 1 1/2". This is a very easy modification.

If you search the board, you'll see that I bought a Honda 9.9hp before realizing that the new, larger head did not fit. Learn from my mistake!

The 8hp Yamaha is plenty of power.

Darin
Droofus

Our CD 26 has a Yamaha 9.9

Post by Droofus »

The Yamaha 9.9 came with the boat. We have only had the boat about 3 months. The motor just fits in the well, BUT it cannot be rotated at all. This makes backing up a challenge. I am considering replacing the Yamaha with a Tohatsu 6.x . The tohatsu is supposed to fit in the well, such that you can rotate the engine, and not depend on the tiller only.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I can fully rotate the Tohatsu 6 in my CD25, but only if I remove the fuel tank from the lazzerette.
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Careful Measurement

Post by CruiseAlong »

I always had the Yamaha 9.9 25 inch skeg in my CD26. Moved the mount forward 1-1/2 inches to accomodate the engine. The 8hp 4 stroke is also almost as big. One of the other factors, besides the distance from the front of the board mount to back of well dimension is height of back of the engine relative to the side of the center engine well. May not be able to turn even though the back of the engine clears the back of the engine well since the back of the engine may hit the side walls.
drb9

Post by drb9 »

Just to add to my earlier post. With my 8hp Yamaha mounted forward as it is, I can rotate it enough to make close-in maneuvering slightly easier. Maybe 15 degrees to either side.

Darin
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Get the high thrust prop

Post by Roy J. »

Tohatsu/nissan offers what they call an 8.375" dia x 6" pitch "elephant ear" high thrust prop, which i think comes standard on the 25" extra long 6hp motor. The Sail Pro also comes with the charger standard. On the shorter shaft models you have to order both separately at an extra charge. Tohatsu's part # is 399B6451212. A must I think for our relatively heavy boats. I can recommend onlineoutboards.com in Tenn. Fast good service, low prices, free shipping and no tax outside of Tenn. Ordered online on Sunday night, motor at my house on Thursday morning, exactly as ordered.
Roy Jacobowitz