Spreader Bracket CD33

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Spreader Bracket CD33

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Hello all,

I am looking for a spreader bracket for a CD33. Rig Rite's website seems to need the spar section to find replacement parts. Do any of you know where to either find the actual spreader bracket (Port side), or know the particular spar section for the CD33's? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

The Rig Rite web site shows the dimensions for the Spars. It looks like they used either the Spartan CD-4.5 or the CD-5 Mast sections on the CD33. Below are links showing the two possible mast sections. They each use different spreader bases so you will need to measure to figure out which mast section you have.

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Thanks!

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed those pages, but your efforts answered my questions.

Fair winds,
Jeff
Jeff and Sarah

Inspect your spreader brackets!

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I know that there are several types of spreader brackets on Cape Dory's, but take a moment to inspect yours. My 33 had visible cracks in one of the brackets so I pulled it off the other day- it came off in 3 pieces! Turns out the only thing holding it on was the pressure from the bolt heads. My mast is down (and has been down since before I bought the boat), but there's no telling how long it was cracked before mast was pulled. I ordered a replacement today, but I didn't get the impression that they still make the part. I was lucky Rig Rite had one in stock, so check your brackets before the parts vanish forever!
Bob L

bracket from Rig Rite

Post by Bob L »

I had to replace my bracket about 8 years ago. The bracket that I got from Rig Rite had holes already drilled for mounting onto the mast, but they did not fit to the existing holes. I had to redrill and tap to a larger size hole. ALSO....the hole for the clevis pin was not there. I had to create a jig to make the appropriate hole at the correct angle.

Be sure to use TefGel on the stainless bolt threads going into the aluminum mast.
Jeff and Sarah

Disappointing

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Bob,
That's disappointing. For the cost of the new bracket, it should be fit perfectly and serve cold beer! I wonder why it wasn't drilled for the clevis pin? That's the entire point of the bracket!
Bob L

Re: Disappointing

Post by Bob L »

Jeff and Sarah wrote:Bob,
That's disappointing. For the cost of the new bracket, it should be fit perfectly and serve cold beer! I wonder why it wasn't drilled for the clevis pin? That's the entire point of the bracket!
I don't know why the hole wasn't pre-drilled. It was reasonably simple to get the correct angle using the broken bracket's hole. What really bothered me was the mounting holes not being the same as the old brackets mounting holes. But, all worked out in the end and I've had no problem.