Harken Traveller on CD-33

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

bottom nuts

Post by mike ritenour »

Tom,

I'm thinking that perhaps the assembly of your track was different than mine, perhaps they did different things on different hulls.

I've scouted up into that slot, when I replaced my engine and there are, for sure, nuts holding down the track and literally no way to reach some of them without cutting away some of the bridge deck.

Me thinks you were a very lucky lad in replacing your track!!

Zeida............................
I was just looking at your pictures again and your traveler and main sheet gear is exactly what I have and its a Schafer.

I see that Tom's boat is 20 hulls newer than LaVida, and yours is 33 hulls newer, so I don't know what to think if he has different gear and we have the same. :?:

Fair Winds,
Rit
Tom Keevil

Track Removal/Nuts?

Post by Tom Keevil »

We had to remove the track to raise it a bit in order to accommodate the jam cleat fittings (NF1332). They are level with the top of the track, and would not fit into the fiberglass groove. It was necessary to raise the track 1/4" so the jam cleats would clear the fiberglass. This is something we did not anticipate, and was a pain to deal with. We did it by placing a 1/4" piece of plastic under the track.

They also sell control ends with the blocks, but no cam cleat (NF 1333). These should slide onto the track as is, but then you need to mount the cleats somewhere else. That might be a better way to go, but where to mount the cleats isn't obvious. I don't think there is a perfect solution to this.

I don't really have a good picture of this, but we'll be back at the boat on Thursday, and will try to remember to bring the camera.

As for nuts, if they were there, none of them moved or fell out. Hard to believe we could have been that lucky - we never have been on any other repair job - quite the opposite in fact!
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
mgphl52

Re: Track Removal/Nuts?

Post by mgphl52 »

Tom Keevil wrote:As for nuts, if they were there, none of them moved or fell out. Hard to believe we could have been that lucky - we never have been on any other repair job - quite the opposite in fact!
Maybe they were welded to the backing plate???
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Tom Keevil

Photos of Traveller and Phantom Bridge Deck Nuts

Post by Tom Keevil »

Here's a photo of our Nicro Fico setup from Rig Rite. The white stripe under the track is the plastic we added to raise it up so that the cam cleat would fit over the top of the fiberglass. You can see how it is right in the center of the edge of a cockpit cushion. We changed our cushion design to make it easier to move them out of the way, but it is still less than ideal. However, it is way better than using the old stops.

And here is a photo looking up the narrow slot under the bridge deck. There are no nuts - in fact no metal at all. There must be a threaded metal bar imbedded in the glass.

Rover is hull #66. We are the third owner. It had traveller stops when we bought it. We replaced the original block on the car with the triple block you see in the photo.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Russell

Re: Photos of Traveller and Phantom Bridge Deck Nuts

Post by Russell »

Tom Keevil wrote: And here is a photo looking up the narrow slot under the bridge deck. There are no nuts - in fact no metal at all. There must be a threaded metal bar imbedded in the glass.
This seems to be a pretty common practice for CD, unfortunately its often aluminium (leading to seized fasteners) or mild steel (rusting away by now).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Larry McAnally

Post by Larry McAnally »

I recently upgraded my traveler control system. I kept the car and track and added control blocks, I used Schafer, and control lines by Schafer . I purchased them through Defender at a "reasonable"cost. My track is curved and cabin top but looks very similar to yours as far as track size and car(Nicro). It was relatively easy to do and gives you easy adjustment of the main. It is a very nice upgrade.
Larry
Getting ready for the Dauphin Island Race/Weather outlook is Cape Dory .
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Larry, would it be possible if you could take some pictures of your traveller set up? If I can do the same as you did, keep the existing NicroFico traveller and car, and just get the Schaefer control blocks and control lines, life would be GREAT! Thanks in advance. :D
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Traveler stops

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I just got back from seeing my boat for the first time since it's been officially mine. I did some inventorying and of course realized things are missing. If any of you have (and are willing to part with) Nicro Fico traveler car stops that you aren't using anymore, let me know. I plan to upgrade my traveler to Harken, but not right away since there's too much other stuff to fight first.

New boat, new problems!
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Jeff... as you can read on this thread, some of us are looking to upgrade our traveller arrangements... If you google NicroFico, which is probably the maker of the track you also have on your boat, they have stopped making those car stops. By I'm sure you can still find them. The web is the way to go for those.

The upgrade to Harken is a total refit, and I am not willing to do that. You would have to change the current track, etc. All the parts are lots of $$$ plus the work... so for me, I'm trying to do a "partial" arrangement. I hope to get the parts that will work with my existing setup.
[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1779.jpg[/img]
[/img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1780.jpg[/img]
[img[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... G_1786.jpg[/img][/img]
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Zeida,

Thanks for the photos. I'm pretty familiar with the Harken and purchase-adjustment upgrade- I've done it on other boats of mine. I just don't have the time to tackle projects right now other than the high priority ones (safety related). I'll shop around online, but if any of you replace your stops with a purchase system, I'd be happy to buy the stops from you.

Jeff
Tom Keevil

Extra Stops

Post by Tom Keevil »

Jeff and Sarah,
You can have our stops if I can find them. I think they are in our garage in Oregon, but we are currently in British Columbia. We're headed back south later this week, and I'll try to find them when we return. I'll send you a private message when I find them. If you don't hear from me, it means I forgot, so nag me.
Tom
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Jeff and Sarah

Thanks!

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Thanks Tom! That's a big help.
Jeff
Tom Keevil

Stops for Jeff and Sarah

Post by Tom Keevil »

It turns out we no longer have our old traveller stops, so Jeff and Sarah still need them. I thought I'd bump this back to the top for them.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Jeff and Sarah

Thanks for looking.

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to look around for them, and for bumping the thread up as well. I'll figure out a solution. Hopefully I'll come across them in the boat as I continue to empty out all the compartments.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Jeff and Sarah

Traveler Stops

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

My to-do list is finally getting shorter but I still don't have time to tackle the traveler. If anyone has stops that fit the Fico traveler on a 33 and is willing to part with them let me know. I'd be happy to buy them or even just borrow them until the fall when I plan to upgrade the system. Just PM me through the site. Thanks!
Jeff