Leaking Water Tank on CD-33

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Leaking Water Tank on CD-33

Post by Zeida »

I try to keep my bilge as dry as possible, but last year I noticed that even though I would sponge it totally dry, a trickle would start coming in right away.. it took me some investigating to figure out that it was coming from the starboard settee. i opened up the cap of the water tank that sits there, and sure enough, it was half empty. I decided to remove the plywood piece that covers the settee, and found that the plastic nipple that joins the small water hose to the tank had split and broken off... and the water was overflowing whenever the boat was moving. It broke because obviously the indentation underneath that nipple was not deep enough, and with time, the boat's movement hitting the hose against the wood divider, finally broke it. I was lucky enough that I was able to repair it.

[imgImage
Water tank exposed.
[/imgImage
Look closely and see the small water hose loose, the nipple broken off.
[imgImage
[/imgImage
[imgIMG]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... C-114F.jpg[/IMG]
[/imgImage
I removed the broken white plastic nipple and was able to rethread the grey piece back into the hole -it was pure luck, but it has worked just right! No more leaks. but after that, i added thick chunks of foam in the space between the top of the tank and the plywood board that covers it, so there is no more movememt or jumping of that water tank, which otherwise was not very well secured in place, or protected.
Zeida
CDSOA Member