Where to shop?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

J&P

Where to shop?

Post by J&P »

As we prepare for the upcoming sailing season we are purchasing supplies from a variety of online stores. Below is a summary of our recent experiences. We are curious where other people shop and why.

Defender - Our starting point for most inquiries. Great website that is easy to search and navigate. Plus their prices are competitive and professional.

BoatZincs.com - Small shop that has great prices on replacement zincs and selected bottom paints. Easy to reach by phone and staff is helpful.

Jamestown Distributors - We have found their phone representatives to be the most knowledgeable.

Marine Parts Express - Great inventory of parts for our Volvo engine.

Hodges Marine - Great prices on new stove but service has been disappointing and not very professional (shipped damaged product, hard to reach, and slow to resolve).

- Phil
Russell

Post by Russell »

To add to that list, I have had great experiences with Hamilton Marine. When Jamestown Distributors switch to using UPS exclusively with no option for FedEx Hamilton was able to sell me anything Jamestown had previously and via FedEx. Even before the switch to UPS Jamestown always seemed to have issues shipping internationally, their computer system wouldnt take some of the addresses I had to give them (not the online one, the one the actual phone reps use), but when they switched to UPS I simply could not use them anymore (I only trust FedEx when shipping to Caribbean countries).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I'd second that, Russell

Post by Joe Myerson »

Russell beat me to it, but Hamilton Marine is always a pleasure to deal with, and their sale prices are close to, if not equal to Defender's.

--Joe

PS: to bring back an earlier controversy (should I?), check out Hamilton's current e-catalog, and you'll see that they now sell "mooring PENNANTS," as does Defender.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

At defender you only have to pay shipping if you are out of state (CT.). By our standards that saves $8.50 per $100. Pays for about 1/2 of the shipping in most cases.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Carl Thunberg

Joe, How Could You?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

You have to spend two minutes in the penalty box as penance of for your pedantic use of pennant when you should have use pendant. Phor Pete's sake, you're not phlying a phlag.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Waving the white phlag

Post by Joe Myerson »

Carl:
I surrender.:cry:
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rorik

Post by rorik »

Fisheries Supply in Seattle has done a good job for me. If you have just bought a boat, even if it's your 19th boat, they have a "Welcome Aboard" account for 90 days that is close to wholesale on a lot of items. Other items not so much. It seems to depend on that items margin.

www.fisheriessupply.com
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.