CD Boats built where?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim F
Potts Harbor Me.
CDSOA # 562

CD Boats built where?

Post by Jim F »

I was looking over a survey that a frind of mine had been showen for a CD 30 cutter he is thinking about purchasing and the surveyor said the the 1977 CD 30 he was surveying was built in Ammityville NY. I thought they were all built in Taunton Mass. This was a old survey for the boat done a number of years ago and I believe the it was for insurance. Just got my curiosity up.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

The surveyor was close...

Cape Dory Yachts
1963-1991

Cape Dory Yachts was founded by Andrew Vavolotis. The company was located in East Taunton, MA (USA).
In the following 28 years, the company built over 2,800 sailboats ranging from 22 to 45 feet, and over 2,000 of the 19' Typhoon and the 22' Typhoon Senior, as well as the Cape Dory 10, which was the original Cape Dory dory. Most of the designs were by Carl Alberg.

By the late 1970s, the company began building power boats of various types. The most popular model, by far, was the CAPE DORY 28 of which more than 100 were built.

Around 1991, Cape Dory ceased operating in New England. The name and most of the powerboat designs were sold to Newport Shipyards Corp. of Amityville, New York, which itself reportedly ceased operations in 1996. The other molds were scattered among a number of boat makers, and some models are still being made, mostly on a semi-custom basis.

The remainder of the boatbuilding operation, and the marine hardware division of the company, Spartan Marine, were moved to Robinhood, Maine where Andy Vavolotis continued to build sailboats. Most recently, the ROBINHOOD 36 and 40 were being manufactured from the old CAPE DORY 36' and 40' molds.(2002)

http://sailboatdata.com/VIEW_BUILDER.ASP?BUILDER_ID=76
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

A 1977 CD sailboat would have been built in East Taunton, MA. Before Taunton, they were located in Bridgewater, MA.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Jim F
Potts Harbor Me.
CDSOA # 562

CD Boats

Post by Jim F »

Thanks Ray & Cathy I thought thats where they were built but I sometimes forget things. I have a 1978 CD30K and was pretty sure it was made in Tauton Mass. or East Taunton that is. I had not heard about the Ammityvile NY part before. Thanks again Jim