Cape Dory Sailing Videos

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DaveCD28

Cape Dory Sailing Videos

Post by DaveCD28 »

Hi Folks,

I got a new Flip video camera and decided to try it out this past Saturday here on the ICW in Melbourne, Florida. I set the autopilot and walked around the deck with the camera. Sorry about the unsteady video at times... I was watching for traffic and where I was walking, plus trying not to drop the new camera overboard. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URh1F3SbPSg

Also, while I was out I saw this Cape Dory (I believe a CD30) sailing the other way so I videoed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAYARjHrfns

The video quality should be HD on Tuesday, but since I uploaded tonight it takes a while to process it.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

sailing

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

We live on our CD31 and plan to go cruising next year. We originally thought of putting Melbourne on the list but was concerned about lack of deep water. I grew up in Palm Bay and remembering how shallow the Indian River was back then and assumed that Melbourne would be a poor place to sail. I guess not? How long would it take to get off shore? Would you use Sebastian Inlet or Canaveral to get out? So is the dragon completely gone?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
DaveCD28

Re: sailing

Post by DaveCD28 »

Kevin Kaldenbach wrote:We live on our CD31 and plan to go cruising next year. We originally thought of putting Melbourne on the list but was concerned about lack of deep water. I grew up in Palm Bay and remembering how shallow the Indian River was back then and assumed that Melbourne would be a poor place to sail. I guess not? How long would it take to get off shore? Would you use Sebastian Inlet or Canaveral to get out? So is the dragon completely gone?
I would never, EVER, try to use Sebastian Inlet with a displacement hull anything, sail or power. The shoaling and tidal currents are fast, ever changing, and dangerous. I have seen 10 foot standing breakers in the middle of the inlet before that just sit there because of the ground and tidal current running at 5 to 7 kts.

Plus Sebastian Inlet bridge is fixed with only 35 feet or so clearance, so that eliminates most sailboats anyways.

You can use Port Canaveral or Fort Pierce (South of Sebastian about 20 miles). Alot of guys do "The loop" where they go out of Port Canaveral or Fort Pierce and sail to the other one. It makes for a long day of fun ocean sailing if the weather is good (around 70nm).

Port Canveral can be entered easily in most weather and day or night because it has locks and there is no tidal current. It is well lighted and very deep. But watch for the large cruise ship and barge traffic. The locks operate from 7:00am to 9:00pm, but there are serveral marinas and restaurants to dock at. It is located about 15 miles north of my marina.

Fort Pierce is a normal inlet, but is straight and wide so the current issues are fairly normal about 3-4 kts. Coming in Fort Pierce there is a bascule bridge to the north you must go through, but there is a good anchorage just southwest of the bridge where you can wait for it if you come in at night. It is located about 55 miles south of my marina.

My marina is Sundance Marine (formerly Diamond 99) and it is located between the Eau Gallie and Pineda causeways (28° 10' 42N, 80° 38' 55" W). There is 8 - 14 feet depth most places around here. You have pay close attention to the ICW channel only after you get south of Melbourne and into Palm Bay and Grant, or North of Melbourne near Rockledge and Cocoa.

I think as far as the ICW goes, this is the best area on the east coast of Florida as far as sailing is concerned.

As far as the dragon at the southern tip of Merrit Island, yes... the poor thing has died. I'm not sure exactly what happened to it, but it isn't there anymore.

David Cruickshank
S/V Sanuye, CD28 #174