non-skid - which brand

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mattlydon

non-skid - which brand

Post by mattlydon »

I need to replace my non-skid, and have been looking at kiwi grip as well as durabak 18uv.

Plenty of video on using kiwigrip, but anyone have experience with durabak?

Preferences?

Matt
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Kiwigrip

Post by Kevin_P »

I just ordered Kiwigrip, mainly because it's waterbased, less toxic, and the product reviews seem to be pretty good. I'll let you know how it goes. The other cool thing is that you can have this stuff tinted like you would a normal can of paint. We're going to go a little richer than the cream, closer to the Awlgrip "Moondust".
Good luck,
Kevin
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Kiwi Magic

Post by Daniel Owen »

I just recently used this product and am pleased. It does a nice job of covering the old basket weave non-skid. I did have an initial failure on a test patch due to low night time temperatures. Make sure you have a 24 hour period of 50's, dry and little wind.

Cheers
Dan O..............
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Re: Kiwi Magic

Post by Kevin_P »

Daniel Owen wrote:I just recently used this product and am pleased. It does a nice job of covering the old basket weave non-skid. I did have an initial failure on a test patch due to low night time temperatures. Make sure you have a 24 hour period of 50's, dry and little wind.

Cheers
Thanks for your input... I was wondering how that might look.

-Kevin
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
MFC
Hull No.128

Re: Kiwi Magic

Post by MFC »

Daniel Owen wrote:I just recently used this product and am pleased. It does a nice job of covering the old basket weave non-skid. I did have an initial failure on a test patch due to low night time temperatures. Make sure you have a 24 hour period of 50's, dry and little wind.

Cheers
Did you sand or grind down the old non skid first Dan? How did you approach taping the lines where the gel coat is not covered in non skid?

This project is on my spring list too.

Thanks.
Matt
Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Post by Daniel Owen »

Matt,
I scrubbed the area with a degreaser then went over the old non-skid with 80 grit on my DA orbital sander. I just hit the top of the surface as the kiwi stuff is thick like yogurt so it fills in the basket weave, no need to sand smooth. I taped the edge, smooth gel coat with blue tape and removed it directly after apllication for a good edge. You need to cover up adjoining areas as the kiwi roller will kick up over spray.
Cheers
Dan O..............
2tocruise
Little Creek, VA
Currently in Annapolis, MD

kiwi-grip

Post by 2tocruise »

We are are also re-doing the nonskid using Kiwi-grip. We ordered the "cream" but found it to be much too yellow once the can arrived. We took it and had it re-tinted to be a closer match to the existing non-skid color.

I did sand down the existing nonskid with 80grit, and also did some deck-core repairs while everything was still nasty looking. So far we have only applied the kiwi-grip to some test patches, but it seems very straight foward and easy to get great results.

I'll have to let you all know how it turns out!
Twenty years from now, you will be more disapointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain