CD 25 Modifications

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sfreihofer

CD 25 Modifications

Post by sfreihofer »

Since what I'm doing is actually a rebuild rather than a restoration, I am using the opportunity to install upgrades and improvements on my CD 25. Realistically, eveything going into the boat is new. Only the fiberglass castings are original.

A while ago, I asked CD owners what modifications they feel would improve their boat. One of the more common responses was storage space (i.e., shelves).

Accordingly, I have incorporated shelves in the 'hanging' locker. I have also incorporated a drawer under the companionway threshold, and a storage box under the lower step.

I have also been installing a holding tank and head, to bring the sanitation system up to code.

The results can be seen here, particularly in the last three photos: http://www.reefroof.com/restinterior.htm

I welcome suggestions for additional improvements, and I am receptive to constructive criticism. I also appreciate encouragement! If you have a comment, please share it.

I envy those of you who are out sailing. One day, I'll be there.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Gorgeous. Better than new.
Our boats are only 2 hull #s away it seems. I wish mine looked half as sharp.

How do your backing plates look, btw?
Mathias

sleeping berth

Post by Mathias »

Beautiful job.

One project that is still on my list is to build a simple collapsable system to bridge the alleyway to create an extra-large berth so two can sleep comfortably together.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Kilgore;

Thanks for the encouragement... it's good for my motivation. It's interesting that our hull numbers are so close. We're close to the end of the production line since about 850 were built.

As to your question, my backing plates are in remarkably good condition. They haven't caused me any concern. I found a small area of minor rust flaking on the starboard side, so I cleaned it up and covered the area with epoxy. I see no problem at all with the mast support.

Thanks for your comments.

Stan
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hello Mathias;

Thanks for the kind words. It's a nice reward and I appreciate the gift.

I've seen the discussions about bridging the gap between the berths. There are two reasons why I haven't really considered doing it. First, it would take modification of the bunk rail. The rail is elevated several inches above the bunk to hold the foam mattress in place. This rail would make bridging the 'alleyway' uncomfortable at best. Removing the rail would make the mattress less likely to stay in place at sea.

The second reason is because of the location of the sink and the support for the countertop. The potential width is limited without a complete re-design of the cabin, which is something I have not contemplated doing.

I'm satisfied with the berths as they are. If you make the modification, please share photos of your method.

Thanks!

Stan