Another Cape Dory transport question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Another Cape Dory transport question

Post by abcnuzeman »

My wife and I are finally closing tomorrow on a Cape Dory 25D in Florida that we need to move to Brooklyn. Our original transported backed out saying his trailer would not safely support the 25D hull. I'm not sure I understood the reasoning, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a transporter to us. You all have already been a tremendous help in detailing the preps I need to make for the move, and I hope someone might help us again.
Thanks...
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Figures. I had the same situation happen to me too. I had the boat all ready and the shipper never showed up. I called him and he couldn't come because someone stole an axle part to his trailer. I suspect movers around this time of year would rather move a larger boat for the money than a 25' sailboat. For crying out tears a CD25 should not be that hard to move.

Hopefully one of our southern members can help you locate a crew to move your boat north. Try calling some marina's in the area where you bought your boat. Explain your situation and sometimes they can recommend a transporter. Be very careful who you choose. I am sure by now you may have heard the horror stories. Don't hesitate to ask for a reference, and make sure they are insured. I am sure it will work out for you.

-R
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I have never had a boat transported over land, but you can try this......

Scroll to the top of this page and click on the CDSOA logo, that'll get you to our home page. Then use the menu on the left side of the page and select:

Where to Look -> Boat Transport

There are alot of haulers on the list. Though I don't have any experience with them you may want to try uShip Boat Transport .

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

Triton Yacht sales in Oriental NC transports and is very familiar with Cape Dories. Paul is the fellow there.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

uship

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I have had good luck with u-ship moving my CD31
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Brownell makes high quality specialized boat-moving trailers. You might want to call them and see who they know of that could do it, like who they sold their trailers to. You do NOT want to move a boat that far on a trailer not designed for it, without the proper springs, etc. This can have bad effects on your hull.

http://www.brownellsystems.com/
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Mathias

delivery

Post by Mathias »

I would be interested in delivering your boat for you.

I list on this board with my CD25, but I regularly sail an HC33, have ocean experience, and have a 50-ton USCG mariner's license.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
House

Transporting

Post by House »

You might try Denise Allen. She lives near Lake Lanier, GA, and hauled our CD-28 from there to Myrtle Beach last summer. She was great to work with; if you're looking for a "family" operation this is it: she took over the business from her dad, when he passed away. Send me a PM and I'll forward you her contact information.

Good luck!

Richard
mahalocd36

uShip-> not recommended by BoatUS

Post by mahalocd36 »

Coincidentally BoatUS just had an article about bad shippers.

You can read here:
http://www.boatusmagazine.com/boatus/20100304#pg50
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

I USED BOAT EXPRESS

Post by John Stone »

I used Boat Express (http://www.boatsexpress.com/)to move our CD 36 from Texas to NC. I was very happy with their work. My move was complicated and unique but they never batted an eye. I worked with Bob who was on top of ever phase of the move. Also, of the ten boat movers I called for a quote, they gave me the best price.

My boat move is documented at http://www.farreachvoyages.com/transpor ... reach.html

Best of luck.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I will check with U-ship first next time I have something I need hauled. They are simply an auction house that puts your item out for bid. You also have the choice to review and accept the bid. Both times my CD31 was moved it was done by professional boat haulers, not some cattle hauler who figured he could put my boat on top of his trailer and make a few bucks on a back haul. Lets get real here.

The first time it was hauled by Matt, a young man from Florida who was working in the Houston area after Ike. He was able to incorporate my shipment into a trip where he would have been dead heading. I paid $1100 for the service compared to $2000 the local boat jockey wanted.

The second trip the gentleman was a retiree who his clients kept wanting him to haul their boats so he had a custom sailboat trailer built to pull behind his class A motor home. He and his parrot cruise around the US hauling boats. His knowledge in getting the boat from the stand to the trailer and also in securing the mast was appreciated. When the wonderful people on this board told me about the mast for sale from a CD31 I used U-ship. To haul it from the north east to Texas.

Quite frankly U-ship is wonderful thing. In most cases if you call a boat hauler you are getting a broker who then schedules one of a number of independent truckers to come get it. This is how most over the road shipping is done in this country. With U-ship you get to interview the man who actually going to pick up your boat. I see this as an added benefit seeing as I having the biggest stake in the move. The chances are when your local boat jockey is at the other end of a haul with an empty trailer he is probably sitting in a parking lot surfing the U-ship site looking for a back haul. The only difference is that he has already padded the bill on your end to bring himself home.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
J Stevenson

Riverside Marine Transport, Inc

Post by J Stevenson »

We used this owner/operator last August to move our CD36 from Charleston, SC to NH. The owner (Wayne Harris) was everything one could wish for - and the cheapest I could find.

His web site: www.largeboathaulers.com
Email: riversidemarinetransport@davincivirtual.com
Phone: 941-257-5006
Emil Maurer

Shipping a 25D from Florida

Post by Emil Maurer »

I used these people to ship my 25D from Rochester to Long Island some 9 years ago.
They used to deliver boats for Cape Dory.
My experience was a flexible schedule can get you a better price.

Lighthouse Boat Transport
work 631.225.2800
work 710 South Wellwood Ave.
Lindenhurst NY 11757
Note: Donna, Tom

Emil Maurer
Emil Maurer
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Brooklyn landfall

Post by abcnuzeman »

Callipygian has arrived, navigating the shoals of Flatbush Avenue. We are going to scrape all the bugs off her bottom and splash on some paint. The prop needs cleaning, I should probably replace the standing rigging (according to my survey), and I want to change her oil. But yesterday afternoon, i climbed the ladder, sat in the cockpit and rested my hand on the tiller of my first boat. It's all good.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

You will love the 25D. I have had four Cape Dories (27, 25D and two typhoons) and the 25D has been my favorite. Heavy enough to handle the weather, easy enough to sail from dock to the sailing in 15 minutes, and large enough for all to be comfortable.

Happy sailing.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty.