Yanmar - Gear Position While Sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Sail

Yanmar - Gear Position While Sailing

Post by Maine Sail »

I know some of you guys have Yanmar's . Thought I'd pass this along because the question comes up often on other forums.

We finally have a definitive answer from Yanmar on this subject..

Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result.This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selectionâ€
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Yanmar Gear Selection

Post by Oswego John »

Very interesting article.

It's not important, but I wonder if the following is a typo?
If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used.
Should the word break really be brake?

No big thing. Just wondering,

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dick Villamil

yanmar and spinning prop

Post by Dick Villamil »

Well doggone it - I always locked my prop with the blade vertical to prevent drag by leaving the blades behind the keel - the boat went faster in light air. Now I need to contend with excessive wear and tear on the Cutlass bearing and stuffing box. I still may continue leaving it in reverse during light air and neutral with heavy air. After 5 years with the new engine/transmission there seems to be no problem. Also had no transmission problem with the older Yanmar that had been in the boat for 23 years and locked in reverse while sailing for at least 15 years. Does anybody have any other information as to what causes the problems that Yanmar is talking about?
The Patriot

Re: Yanmar Gear Selection

Post by The Patriot »

Oswego John wrote: ... the following is a typo?
If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used.
Should the word break really be brake? ...
Take your pick. Either way should work.
Oswego John

Break Or Brake

Post by Oswego John »

Take your pick. Either way should work.
Armond, that's funny. :D I wish I'd thought of that.

:D :D :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

great info, BUT my 1GM has been in reverse while sailing since '84 w/o any problem. The manual for my 1GM calls for reverse. I'm not changing...Thanks for getting the up to date info from Yanmar. It would be nice if Yanmar made their mind up...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

So Randy, what you are really saying is that you are not shifting your position on this matter...

Sorry, Steve.
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

rtbates wrote:great info, BUT my 1GM has been in reverse while sailing since '84 w/o any problem. The manual for my 1GM calls for reverse. I'm not changing...Thanks for getting the up to date info from Yanmar. It would be nice if Yanmar made their mind up...
Can you do me a favor and either take a photo of that Yanmar wording or scan the manual to .PDF and send it to me?

I have a guy on another forum in a warranty dispute with Yanmar who would love for his attorney to see that wording.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Maine Sail wrote:
rtbates wrote:great info, BUT my 1GM has been in reverse while sailing since '84 w/o any problem. The manual for my 1GM calls for reverse. I'm not changing...Thanks for getting the up to date info from Yanmar. It would be nice if Yanmar made their mind up...
Can you do me a favor and either take a photo of that Yanmar wording or scan the manual to .PDF and send it to me?

I have a guy on another forum in a warranty dispute with Yanmar who would love for his attorney to see that wording.
Certainly. With any luck at all I'll be at the boat this weekend AND remember your request...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Steve Laume wrote:So Randy, what you are really saying is that you are not shifting your position on this matter...

Sorry, Steve.
A good pun is hard to find,,,KEEP LOOKING!haha
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Oswego John

No Inboard Engine

Post by Oswego John »

My Typhoon has no transmission.. Hmmm, I wonder if that was what he was thinking when he called me shiftless?

:D :D :D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Re: yanmar and spinning prop

Post by darmoose »

Dick Villamil wrote:Well doggone it - Does anybody have any other information as to what causes the problems that Yanmar is talking about?
Yeah....locking the propeller by putting the transmission in reverse creates more drag and puts excessive pressure on the gears.

Putting the transmission in neutral and alowing the propeller to spin while sailing relieves the pressure, reduces drag, and makes you go FASTER :wink:

Darrell
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I am fairly new to this board compared to most posters, having only been a member for a little over four (4) years.

However, isn't it a CDSOA bylaw or rule that the discussion of "locked versus spinning" props is supposed to begin ONLY in late September or early October of each year :?: :?: This to coincide with our brothers and sisters north of the Mason-Dixon line who haul their CDs for the winter in Oct and Nov. and thus affording them a good 5-6 months to discuss the esoterics of drag coefficients, etc. To begin this discussion again for the 5th or 6th time in the Spring as many are commissioning their CDs for an early launch is, in my most humble opinion, most troubling. Now, CDers will be worried all during the 2010 sailing season about whether they are getting .05 kts more or less speed depending on whether the prop is locked or spinning. And those with Yanmars have even more to worry about - to believe the Yanmar 1GM manual or two year old Yanmar advisory notice. Yikes :!: :!:

While I have great respect for Maine Sail (as I have stated in other threads) it seems to me his post is in direct violation of CDSOA policies and procedures :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D

Perhaps we can get a legal ruling from our pinstripe-suited legal eagles who are dues paying card carrying members of CDSOA
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt wrote:However, isn't it a CDSOA bylaw or rule that the discussion of "locked versus spinning" props is supposed to begin ONLY in late September or early October of each year :?: :?:
Hey Robert, I've never seen that bylaw... does it also mention "full-batten-loose-foot" main dicussions??? :D :D :D

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dalton

Re: Yanmar - Gear Position While Sailing

Post by Dalton »

Maine Sail wrote:internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result.

Perhaps this is for Sail drive units only?