De-rigging for transport

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

De-rigging for transport

Post by abcnuzeman »

I hope to be transporting a Cape Dory 25D (my first boat) from Florida to Brooklyn in the next couple weeks. I have a trucking company, but any information on de-rigging, other prep work , and any estimates of what I can expect to pay would be appreciated.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I can't help much with your questions. You may want to hire a rigger to help with derigging so that things are done right. Make sure to clearly mark with tape and label all standing rigging with indelible ink so you know where it is supposed to go when you rig it.

I have been looking for a CD 25D for some time. I live in Florida. I would interested to know which CD 25D you purchased. Also, if you could send me a "PM" I would be interested in the approximate purchase price so I can factor this in to any future offers I may make on a CD 25D.

Bottom line - congratulations on your purchase of a CD 25D. If you have read prior posts on this board from those who have owned CD 25Ds for some time you know what a terrific pocket cruiser she is. Again, congrats :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Congratulations on your new purchase! We brought our 27CD up from Maryland to Sayville, NY.

If you are de-rigging the boat yourself I would recommend removing the shrouds and spreaders and wrapping them up in a moving blanket or other padding to protect your boat. Anything flapping in the wind is going to chafe a pretty nice mark from Florida to Brooklyn.

Make sure the water tank(s), holding tank, are emptied! All that sloshing liquid may find its way out. I would also empty the diesel tank if possible.

Make sure the battery(s) are also very well secured. I would disconnect the battery wires as a safe measure.

Label everything you disconnect to make it easier to remember when it comes time to re-connect them.

Welcome aboard!

-R
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

Congrats!

Ray's suggestions all sound good. I'd also consider taping down the forward hatch and finding some way to cover the leading edges of the boat such as the bow and the forward portions of the toe rail. Anything to minimize damage from the impact of a stone kicked up on a highway.

A few of the shipping companies have extensive prep lists on their website. I briefly looked for the one I recall as being excellent, but no luck -- I'm sure you can find it with 15 min on google.

Good luck!

Matt
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Brownell has some info that might be of interest.

http://www.brownellsystems.com/images/s ... elines.pdf
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

De-rigging for transport

Post by abcnuzeman »

Thanks for the input from all. The suggestions outlined by the transport company's handout was most helpful. I'm in the unfortunate position of depending on the kindness of strangers in that I can't be there for the move and want to try and cover all bases when I make arrangements with the boat yard. I'm trying to make this happen from Brooklyn and as this is my first, I'm fretting a lot and keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be back with more questions soon. This forum is invaluable.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Welcome to the CD Crowd

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

It is really a terrific group. I have owned a 25D for almost ten years and love it and the Board has been an enormous source of info and support. Enjoy your very fine craft
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Congrats!

Post by trapper »

You will love your 25D. I (as SeaHunt says) care for Saga Blue, hull #180.

All good advise. Here is what I did when we moved Saga, I took everything not soft out of the inside of the boat, including anchor and battery. Make sure the door to the head is secured as well as the drawers, galley door, and engine door. Make sure all hatches and portlights are battened down. I left cushions and lifejackets on board. You will want to make sure the mast and boom are VERY secure so that they cannot bounce or move from side to side. When I moved Saga, we used a large piece of foam around much of the mast. We were very careful to suspend/support the mast so that it could not damage the pulpits. The boom, running rigging and standing rigging, traveled below. The boom was wrapped in bubble wrap and on the sole, so it could not fall. But, the boom still needs to be secured down below. If you have a swim ladder, make sure it is secure as well. That is all I can think of. Best of luck. You are in for a wonderful sailing experience. Again, congrats!
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

When I had my 25D moved from Corpus Christi to Lake Grapevine, Texas, the rigger/mover used a sign truck to lower the mast while the boat was in the water, then wrapped the roller furled jib and boom to the mast with inside out duct tape. That is quick and secure, but it keeps the sticky stuff off the aluminum.

Be careful where the lift straps are placed if using a travelift, its easy to get too far forward and slip up the bow. I took a big gulp when that happened, but the strap didnt go far. In the future I wll insist that forward and aft straps are secured together.

Let us know how the trip turns out, I am considering getting a trailer and heading out for other places as well.
mgphl52

Re: De-rigging for transport

Post by mgphl52 »

abcnuzeman wrote:I hope to be transporting a Cape Dory 25D (my first boat) from Florida to Brooklyn in the next couple weeks. I have a trucking company, but any information on de-rigging, other prep work , and any estimates of what I can expect to pay would be appreciated.
Where in Florida is she coming from? I was recently laid off and if she's nearby (Pensacola to Panama City), I'll glad to check on the prep for you. I'm also sending a PM with my phone number.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
mattlydon

shouldn't be too pricey

Post by mattlydon »

I purchased a hunter 25 4-5 years ago from a gent in Mass. Boatyard charged me 250 for a haul, load on trailer, drop the mast and lash all tight....

Matt
Bob Condon

Derigging

Post by Bob Condon »

When the crew transports my CD 28 Intrepid, we demast, then they tookk shrink wrap and wrap the shrouds, all line etc., right to the mast.

The mast rides in a mast carrier which is on the side of the trailer and not on the boat. The railing system is not meant to carry the load of the mast and having the mast suspended in the middle is not a good idea.

For the diesel, I use clear tubing, with a brass barbed hose cobling on the end to weight the tube down and set up a siphon.

Get a bucket to put the used diesel fuel in

Get out the shop vac and position near the filler with the clear tube coming out....

Get the bucket just below (I hand mind from the railing)

(don't get scared that we wll do something REALLY stupid)

I put the brass end into the fill until you hear it hit the take bottom (my tank is aluminum),then hold the clear tube straight up, turn on the shop vac and suck the fuel up into the clear tube until it almosts reaches the vac (do not get fuel in the vac), then drop the hose into the bucket and the siphon will suck the fuel dry.

DO NOT DO THIS WITH GASOLINE

I do this each spring but first blow air into the tank to get any mold and mildew moving around, then suck it out, strain some of it and put 2 gal back in and re-suck out to get any lasting gook...

I giv ethe fuel to a friend with a diesel garage heater and start with new fuel each spring... then life is good

Bob
Bob Condon