Maptech Offshore Navigator problem (or is it just my problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob L

Maptech Offshore Navigator problem (or is it just my problem

Post by Bob L »

Earlier this year, I've was able to download RNC files and add the chart to Maptech's Offshore Navigator Lite. Today, I downloaded some more charts and get a program error with no real help for diagnosing the problem. I've tried single charts and multiple charts with no success. The error happens when I rebuild the chart list, which one must do to import the new chart. Once I acknowledge the error, the system closes the program and I'm back where I started.

Has anyone been able to import a chart? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I'll keep banging away at this, although I'm beginning to feel like Homer Simpson, repeating the same procedure ad nauseam.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

BSB?

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I have never had a problem when I use BSB charts with offshore navigator lite.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Try this

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Bob:

Since the breakup of Maptech into several separate companies, and the demise of the old "freeboatingcharts" website, I have had to use the following procedure to download RNC charts from the NOAA website and load them into my old Maptech program.

The procedure works for Offshore Navigator, and it might also work with the "light" version of the program. Give it a try and let me know.

First, download each chart from the NOAA website as a separate ZIPed folder.

Then unZIP each folder, remove the two component files (.BSB and .CAP for each file), and put them all into a separate file.

After deleting the original folders from your NOAA download, copy the .BSB and .CAP files into the folder that holds the charts for your Offshore Navigator program (mine is called "chartkit).

Remember that Offshore Navigator Lite was designed as a free program with a specific set of charts, and the company doesn't support it for other charts. Still, this method might work.

Good Luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Joe,

Interesting. What I get from the NOAA site is KAP files after unzipping. What link did you use to download the files? Perhaps I'm downloading the wrong type. I did get this to work in January. Don't know why I can't now......Looking at what I had added in Jan, I see they were KAP files!!!

Very mysterious.
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Bob L wrote: ... What I get from the NOAA site is KAP files ... what I had added in Jan, I see they were KAP files ...
Probably just a typo (comment, Joe?).

The ".kap" extension charts are available from NOAA. I believe they are BSB3. The ".cap" extension denotes encrypted BSB4 format charts. These cannot be d/l'd from the NOAA site. Most international charts sold by MapTech, the Canadian hydro office, and British Admiralty have the .cap extension. BTW you did not mention if the .kap charts registered correctly on your ON Lite system. If not just dump and reload the software (after processing all the charts into a single folder as Joe described). For another option search this board for "OpenCPN."
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

kerrydeare wrote: BTW you did not mention if the .kap charts registered correctly on your ON Lite system. If not just dump and reload the software (after processing all the charts into a single folder as Joe described). For another option search this board for "OpenCPN."
The .KAP files I downloaded in January registered fine. Most of these were Virginia down to North Carolina. What's happening now when I try to install a new chart, going through the process inside Offshore Nav Lite, where I select the Chart menu, browse to the downloaded chart on my disk, add it to what will be moved to the chartkit directory of ONL, then hit the refresh button, which, after going through all the existing charts, yields a dialog saying an error occurred, and the program has been killed.

Using the same procedure in January worked. I might try installing ONL on another computer to see if I get the same behavior.

In the meantime, I've downloaded OpenCPN and wxWidgets to check this program out.

Thanks.
Last edited by Bob L on Mar 17th, '10, 08:51, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

My mistake

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sorry guys,

I meant ".KAP" files, not ".CAP" files.

But they do work.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mgphl52

Limit to chart count?

Post by mgphl52 »

Hey Bob, could it be that the "light" version has a fixed limit to how many charts it will handle at one time? Just a guess...

I have just finished "minor" testing of OpenCPN and am very happy with what I see! Both the windoze and Linux versions have tested successfully. I use a Deluo USB GPS receiver and had some trouble getting it working under xp, but it was a snap with LinuxMint 8!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!