New owners

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

doubleb

New owners

Post by doubleb »

Well hello to all,
Just an update to our account,
We are the new owners of a 1981 CD33. We are the former owners of a CD25. Brigitta
The 33 is in need of a lot of TLC.
The first thing the wife wants done is to replace the original cushions; I must agree they look like crap.
What are the pros and cons of Sunbrella for interior. She likes the green’s

And of course I will of course have more questions and hopefully some pics of our progress.

Till then
Thanks to all

Brian & Shane
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I can't talk from personal experience, but in looking into sunbrella (on their website) they have material not just for outdoor dodgers and biminis, but also for inside use, like cushions. So visit their site and you can research what they have yourself.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

I replaced the cushions a couple years ago. I used sunbrella and have liked the results. I had a lot of good comments about them. The photo is of the v berth notch cushion. I went to 4" foam . An extra expence but a lot more comfort.

Phil
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

New boat

Post by trapper »

Congrats on your new boat! Sunbrella makes a great inside fabricI have a source that I get it for $5 per yard plus shipping. Here is the email address: bullandcookie@nc.rr.com.

That said, interior cushions would be the last thing I would do inside. You really risk messing them up if you do them first. If they are not too far gone, you can clean them with a spray called Tuff (something?) I am not home and I forgot (ok, OJ the Sr. moments are catching) but it comes in a yellow can and you can get it from autoparts stores or sometimes from Dollar General. It is used to clean automobile upholstery. Below is a photo of the cushions on my CD25D after I cleaned them. They were black with mold when I bought the boat. I am going to replace them but they are ok until I finish working on the inside of the boat.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... C02419.jpg
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Thanks to all!
We know we have taken on a good boat that needs lots! of TLC but. Here we go.
Trapper I can't see your pics here at work too many securities but as far as waiting on the cushions. You have too see the old ones, If I get some pics.
We ride motor cycles as well and the old saying is

"If momma's not happy. No body is happy!"

I don't mind leaving them out, But the old ones were not staying in either.

Oh well time to make the doughnuts

Thanks all
Brian
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Brian,

Did you buy the 33 that was down in Jacksonville, FL? When do you take possession? I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing photos when you get a chance to post them!

Jeff
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Hello Jeff
Yes we purchased the 33 in Jacksonville, We know it needs some work but the wife & I could not stand seeing this boat go to poop! anymore. We haggled the best we could for a price we could handle vs repairs needed.
We have been watching this boat for some time now. We kept our 25 three docks over from it and of course had to go admire and look every time we we went to the dock.
We had our eye on a 28 but the owner sold his the same day I sold mine, go figure. LOL Nice guy too.
Well now the fun? starts. I am going to get some pics of the boat gutted this weekend and hopefully get the sails off to a loft ASAP for cleaning and repair.

Thanks.
I (we) will try to keep our progress posted the best my non-computer based head will let me.

Brian & Shane

Brian & Shane
MFC
Hull No.128

Congrats!

Post by MFC »

Hi Brian -
I am so happy to hear that you completed the deal! That boat desperately needed a new home before it really started to deteriorate. What a cool 33. I think the thing I loved most was that it wasn't cut up with systems and installations from lots of previous owners. I'm still just a little jealous.
Matt
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Congrats on the purchase! My wife and I looked at that boat a couple months back. It looked solid and I'm glad to hear it will be receiving the attention it deserves. Best of luck with it!

Also, I am having a survey done on a CD33 this coming Tuesday and just found out today that I'm moving to Jacksonville (I go where the Coast Guard sends me) late this summer, so perhaps there will be another 33 in your area soon!

Jeff
doubleb

seeing double 33's

Post by doubleb »

COOL!
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Interior Cushions Post

Post by wsonntag »

I did a detailed post on using JSI for new interior cushion fabrication a year or two ago. Search the board using wsonntag new interior cushions to find it. It may be helpful has fabric sources etc.

Bill Sonntag
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

doubleb wrote: We had our eye on a 28 but the owner sold his the same day I sold mine, go figure.
Sorry 'bout that... :oops:
But you know you both are welcome to come visit anytime! :D :D :D

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!