The never ending wall of white

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

oldragbaggers

The never ending wall of white

Post by oldragbaggers »

We have not been able to get to our boat at all since last Saturday's blizzard. While we were still buried, Mother Nature is now dumping another 20 or so inches on us. Another storm is expected on Saturday. We don't even have anyplace to put any more snow if we could move it. Shoveling it is like trying to empty the ocean with a teacup.

Since our boat is on the hard in a yard that's sort of "out of the way" in the country on the Chesapeake, it will likely be a very long time before a snow plow gets near it and we are able to check on it. We have a 4WD Jeep with a snow plow on the front. We tried to get to it on Sunday. It was not possible. It will now be less possible. Thank God it is in a sturdy cradle and shrink wrapped. We worry a bit less than we otherwise might have. I can't even imagine if it were in the water right now. A lot of folks at our marina opted to stay in this season. Who could've known this was coming.

In a moment of insanity 7 years ago we moved to Maryland from San Diego, where we could sail all year and I don't think they even sell snow shovels. As I look out my window, I can't even entertain the prospect of the idea of sailing. It seems like an unattainable dream at this point. But I envy all of you who are able.
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
bill2

more snow

Post by bill2 »

My sympathies -

and being the depths of winter ( = much idle boat time ? ) I wonder what is the theoretical amount of weight the hull/deck of a Cape Dory was designed to support ( pounds per square inch would be a good unit of measure ). Of course the next question would be how many feet of snow equates to how many psi ?

Methinks this winter has too many feet of snow and too much time in front a pc screen :(

I believe the appropriate response for sailors from SoCal would be to consider another winter hobby - say something along the lines of cross country skiing - also useful to venture out for supplies till spring melt . . .

FWIW - Mom lives in SoCal and I do think she wants me to come visit - really soon :wink:

Fair Winds
Carl Thunberg

Count your blessings.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

At least you have some. Our economy is based on having lots of snow for ski areas, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. We got NOTHIN'. I see patches of snow but mostly brown grass out my window right now. PLEASE send some our way! I haven't used my snowshoes or cross-country skis once this year.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Dixon Hemphill

How much snow?

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I am wondering just how much snow it would take to lower my CD28 enough so that my exhaust outlet is submerged. If this happens to VASA which is in the water at Whitehall Yacht Yard in Annapolis I am in serious trouble.

I have tried to contact the harbor master there but no response so far. I suspect he can't get to the marina much less to my boat out on the docks because of the 24 plus inches of snow.

Something tells me this would have been a good year to put VASA on the stands!
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
oldragbaggers

Re: How much snow?

Post by oldragbaggers »

Dixon Hemphill wrote:I am wondering just how much snow it would take to lower my CD28 enough so that my exhaust outlet is submerged. If this happens to VASA which is in the water at Whitehall Yacht Yard in Annapolis I am in serious trouble.

I have tried to contact the harbor master there but no response so far. I suspect he can't get to the marina much less to my boat out on the docks because of the 24 plus inches of snow.

Something tells me this would have been a good year to put VASA on the stands!
Lance and I were talking about that very thing last night, wondering about all the folks that decided to stay in for the winter at our marina. We are so glad we hauled and shrinkwrapped, and will probably never leave our boat in the water here for the winter.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I don't get why you would worry about the snow on your deck or the exhaust going below the water line.

A boat that is floating will be much better able to deal with a snow loaded deck than one that is sitting on stands. The hull is supported the way it was designed to be.

The decks of our boats are strong enough to take the full force of green waves and the weight of that water.

If your boat were to settle low enough in the water to cover her exhaust it should do no harm if the hose and clamps are good. You should have a high loop that would keep water from getting to the engine until the decks are awash.

Boat covers are vulnerable to this sort of snow but the boats themselves are able to deal with it, Steve.
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

Snow covered boats

Post by Jay B. »

My boat is in the water at Herrington Harbour South on the Chesapeake. I've been to it twice to remove the snow off of it, once in Dec with almost 2 feet of snow and again this past Tuesday with about 20 inces or so. Both times everything was fine. Apparently I am one of the few at the marina that are concened since most are still snow covered. I am a new boat owner and probably not knowing has compelled me to clean the boat off...but I am glad I did. I will be glad when the weather warms up...
oldragbaggers

Wish us luck

Post by oldragbaggers »

Lance just suggested we go down to the marina and try to make it back to where our boat is. We tried that last Sunday and it was absolutely impossible, even with a Jeep.

I guess he's getting cabin fever and feels like he needs a little adventure though, so I am inclined to humor him. Here we go. Wish us luck, that we don't get STUCK.
Lance & Becky Williams
Dixon Hemphill

Snow in my boat

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Steve,

I'm not sure I have a loop in the exhaust line back to the engine. I think it's a straight shot from the outlet to the engine but I sure hope I'm wrong!
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
M. R. Bober

Re: Snow in my boat

Post by M. R. Bober »

Dixon Hemphill wrote:Steve,

I'm not sure I have a loop in the exhaust line back to the engine. I think it's a straight shot from the outlet to the engine but I sure hope I'm wrong!
I had a neighbor whose Morgan I/O 41' sank in her slip. Probable cause: Bilge pump outlet hose with neither loop nor shutoff valve/seacock.

RESPITE is floating comfortably. Her cover sheds most snow, but I "helped" between storms.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we missed most of the serious snows), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The bilge pump hose would be very different from your exhaust. It goes from a low point in your boat. When it is in operation the hose is full of water and it the outlet was under water it could siphon back to the boat if there is not a vented loop and or a check valve.

The exhaust on Raven runs up from the muffler to right under the cockpit seats then back down to the outlet which would normally be above the water line. The big difference is that the hose is never full of water as it would need to be to set up a siphon. The waterline would have to reach the level of the cockpit seats before seawater could flow back down to the engine.

That would be a whole lot more snow than even the south has gotten, Steve.
oldragbaggers

Not really worried

Post by oldragbaggers »

We didn't make the trip back to the boat. Fajitas and Martgueritas won out. We're not worried. She's shrinkwrapped over the boom, which should shed the snow and in a very secure cradle. It was more about curiosity and wanting to take a picture of her sitting in the middle of all that snow, out of her element and all.
Lance & Becky Williams
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Thanks, Steve for the explanation. I am less concerned now than I was earlier but I will feel better if I can get to the marina this Saturday and check things out. Problem is both the marina and the docks may still be under 24 plus inches of snow and I will be unable to get to the boat.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Steve Laume wrote:The bilge pump hose would be very different from your exhaust. It goes from a low point in your boat. When it is in operation the hose is full of water and it the outlet was under water it could siphon back to the boat if there is not a vented loop and or a check valve.

The exhaust on Raven runs up from the muffler to right under the cockpit seats then back down to the outlet which would normally be above the water line. The big difference is that the hose is never full of water as it would need to be to set up a siphon. The waterline would have to reach the level of the cockpit seats before seawater could flow back down to the engine.

That would be a whole lot more snow than even the south has gotten, Steve.
Actually, the complete theory goes something like this...
First of all once the Morgan was re-floated they found no evidence of any hose, hull, or fitting failure. So the question became, how did she sink?

2) The bow lines were much shorter than the stern lines.
3) A micro burst quickly lowered the water level in our creek.

One theory--disputed by vessel's owner--supported by a few thoughtful neighbors holds that when the water level dropped the bow was held high. With the bow high, the stern dropped enough to force the bilge pump outlet below the water. Due to the absence of either an anti-siphon/loop or a shutoff valve, water entered the discharge outlet. Once the flow started, it continued to flow, further lowering the stern until the portlights submerged.

Three salvage divers and two days later, she rose. A bad and expensive experience for any boat owner.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where spring hasn't sprung), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
bill2

suction

Post by bill2 »

Not saying this was the cause - but I do know someone that this happened to . . .

Boat sitting in slip all lines tied correctly . Abnormally low tide causes boat to settle on the keel/bottom. Rising tide fails to float her before water comes in thru ( or over ) the transom. Boat no longer floats as the stern is held by the suction of the mud on the bottom. An older boat that was completely written off.

FWIW . . .