Wanted: Cape Dory 27 or 28 that needs love

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

Wanted: Cape Dory 27 or 28 that needs love

Post by longislandsailor »

I am interested in a Cape Dory 27 or 28 for a good price.
Looking to restore the boat to her original beauty.

I have always loved the lines of Cape Dory yachts and the 27 has a special place in my heart. I also appreciate the 28. I recently sold my Ericson 30 after the arrival of our baby boy.
She was completely restored but new time constrains and financial considerations warranted her sale.
I am looking for a boat that will fit in my yard and enable me to work on at my leisure, to be completed by the time we finish with diapers. The CD27/28 fits the bill.

Thanks and let me know.

-Chris
Last edited by longislandsailor on Jan 27th, '10, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Don't know any available right now but I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

Thanks much! I do appreciate it.

Fair winds
-Chris
marv brinn

price range

Post by marv brinn »

what is the price range....you may wind up spending more on the boat when you add up cost and improvements.
none
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

I am looking at a variety of price ranges. I would like to find something under 6K depending on condition.

I have restored two boats now, one bigger and one smaller, and am very aware of the costs associated with such a project. I also know that I am very picky on the restoration work and, unless pristine, will end up redoing previous work done anyway so I am looking for boats at a good price because of their need of work.

I am most concerned with structural conditions. Solidity of decks and overall condition of fiberglass. Some soft spots are ok. I just don't want to have to recore the entire starboard deck like I did on my last boat.

I realize boats of this vintage will have gelcoat crazing, old wiring/plumbing, etc. but would like to see fiberglass (primarily topsides) that can be restored with lots of elbow grease. The other stuff I plan to do anyway so systems, woodwork, upholstery, rigging, sails, motor, and all else really don't matter much to me.

Thanks for the input and pointing out that I needed to clarify what I am looking for.

Appreciatively
-Chris
"Nodding the head does not row the boat"
-Irish Proverb
ronkberg

How 'bout this one on ebay

Post by ronkberg »

Chris, this was just listed and I have no more knowledge.

Good luck, Ron

http://cgi.ebay.com/28-Cape-Dory-Sloop- ... 20af47d656
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
seajunkie

grrrrr

Post by seajunkie »

That ebay ad drives me nuts as it is typical of the way people advertise boats everywhere. They waste their own time and that of any prospective buyer.

Why not take five minutes and describe the boat? They put the stuff that can be researched easily like the ballast and beam but they leave out things like what is the sail inventory like and what condition is it in? When was the last time the bottom was painted? How old is the standing rigging? Does the motor run? I could go on and on.

This little ship is going for $5500, I think that needs to come with an explanation.

Enough steam

Rant Off
Seajunkie
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Rich,

I agree... however, at 5,500, it has to be a major project boat. If interested, folks can either ask the seller via eBay or go look. It all depends on what they want and how much time, energy & money they have to invest. If the hull & decks are solid, the right craftsman could possibly turn her into a beauty. :D

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

If the hull & decks are solid, the right craftsman could possibly turn her into a beauty.
I guess that's what I'm getting at. The owners on ebay and craigslist and even here on this board should take a minute and say things like "decks soft" up front and save everyone some time. That would be a non-starter for me. It would be nice to know the issues up front so you don't waste so much time trying to milk the information out of the owner. Different buyers of "fixers" will choose their poison.
Seajunkie
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

I agree with all of you.

To me it seems like people want to try to hide what's wrong with the boat. They would be much better off being up front because any knowledgeable buyer is going to find out this stuff and most buyers new to sailboats are likely to get a survey. There are only a few dopes who would make such a purchase without either ... at least I hope but I am surprised more and more every day at some people's ignorance.

Anyway...
FYI. I sent this guy a message with many of the above questions when ronkberg first posted about it. I am still yet to received an answer.
Obviously not very serious.
-Irish Proverb
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

Funny I just updated this thread. I decided to check my ebay account and had this wonderfully descriptive response.

"I would like to expand on the condition of the motor and sail, but I have taken it out since I bought in September 2009. The deck is in good condition. I know it has (2) batteries and a Diesel Volvo engine."

So what was the condition when you took it out? does the motor even run? Sail? Only one. haha. Forget it. This guy is hiding something and the boat is way too far for me to pursue without better information.
-Irish Proverb