Typhoon on a Hydra Hoist?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Schwartz

Typhoon on a Hydra Hoist?

Post by Bob Schwartz »

Once again, I seek the wisdom of the Cape Dory Board.

I have a Typhoon on a trailer in storage. My CD-27 is on the local lake. I can't stand to sell the Ty.

I have a buddy with a boat slip and a Hydra Hoist. The rails are close together near the keel of the Impulse that is now on the hoist. I am thinking about a deal with him - we partner, he furnishes the slip and me the boat. (He is about to part with the Impusle)

So, the pivotal question is: Is it OK to put a Typhoon on a Hydra Hoist? I know that the hull can be easily distorted if the trailer pads are too tight. But the trailer pads are about 18" from the keel. I am hoping that with the hydra hoist rails right next to the keel, that there would be no distortion.

Does anyone have any experience or theory that can shed light on this issue?

Much thanks in advance for your consideration.

Bob
CD-27 "Sharryn"
Bob Schwartz
tartansailor

Rails

Post by tartansailor »

It might work if you placed steel athwart the rails and brace the hull,
otherwise I would never do anything like that with my boat.
IMHO
Dick
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Could you have some lifting straps made up to support the keel? You could then move the lift arms further apart to give the hull more stability and do the actual lifting under the keel.

That sounds like a sweet partnership if you can work it out, Steve.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I wouldn't support the boat that way. As I understand you, the keel would be hanging unsupported while the hull is supported along narrow sticks on either side of the keel. The pressure would then be concentrated along these channels which is not something i would do.
Mark Abramski
Dick Villamil

Typhoon on a Hydra Hoist

Post by Dick Villamil »

When I put a barrier coat on the bottom of my Ty I used jack stands. There was a major distortion of the hull whever I placed the pads. When the project was finished and after I removed the jack stands the distortion corrected itself. I never want to do that again since I am not sure it does the hull any good to flex that much. The keel supports the boat with no distortion and the rails of the trailer only prevent the boat from tipping. Therefore - unless you support the weight of the boat by the keel, I would be suspect of any other way of supporting the boat. The bunks on the trailer actiually carry no weight - they just prevent tipping. BY hanging the boat by the hull I am certain that there would be distortion - and the longer it stays in that position it may develop a "set" and become permanently disfigured. Travel hoists are able to support the weight of the hull by using wide straps that generally are placed under the bulkheads and around the curve of the hull - there are no "pressure points" to cause noticeable distortion. I recommend that you tread lightly when doing this - I wouldn't do it for my Ty.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Travel lifts actually support the weight of the boat by by the keel. There is pressure on the hull but it is minimal if set up properly and is not actually lifting the weight.

If you could get some straps under the keel of your TY in the hydro lift it would be much the same.

When setting up boat stands the weight of the boat should be supported by keel blocks. I us a level to make sure the boat is sitting upright and only snug up all the stands. If you are seeing hull deflection then your stands are too tight or the boat is leaning.

Don't assume the yard is going to do this right. They are often very busy when they are hauling boats and do not have as much interest in your baby as you do. The first year I had Raven, she was hauled and set on sloping ground. The yard trailer moved her there and set her up as she came off of the trailer. She had a good list that if left uncorrected might have deformed her hull.

Even if set up properly you want to keep checking those stands. When the ground freezes and thaws, things might not move evenly. I keep checking the stands all winter by backing them off and snugging them up again to be sure that none are adding undue stress to the hull.

Most of the time everything is fine but boat stowage is not a set it and forget it proposition, Steve.