Typhoon prices skyrocket!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Typhoon prices skyrocket!

Post by Markst95 »

Saw this on craigslist. Typhoon on trailer for $10750.

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/1540166230.html
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Hey that must be the Newport price.

I have always been amazed at how cheaply Typhoons sell. To replace a well equipped TY on a good galvanized trailer with a brand new boat would cost you close to $30,000.00. The fact that they often sell in the $3,000.00 range makes them an incredible bargain. A high quality sailing dinghy can sell for more than a Typhoon.

Ten grand more closely reflects the real value of these boats. I guess I made the right decision by hanging on to my TY instead of selling it and putting the money in the stock market a few years ago, Steve.
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

If you look at the broker's description it looks like a $3k Typhoon with $5k worth of refit and extras. Add in the brokers fee and some negotiation room and the price is not that out of line.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I agree they should be worth that much. I think the problem is there are so many cookie cutter sailboats from the 70's available in the northeast they drive the prices down on the more decent ones (and boy are there some ugly ones).
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Why is it that the cat boats demand such high prices and Typhoons still sell cheap?

A Typhoon is not exactly a cookie cutter boat, Steve.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Actually, I think it is a fair price for a well maintained 1977 Ty Weekender. If and when the day comes that I decide to pass on my 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender I will not take a penny less than $10,000 (and that is without a Triad Tailer). :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hard For Me To Comprehend

Post by Oswego John »

Who was it, Bob Dylan, who said "The times, they are a'changin'"?

I must be light years out of sync with the real world. Up until two years ago the Oswego Maritime Foundation ran boat auctions where we sold boats that were donated to us and the donor was eligible for tax deductions. We would give the buyer an official receipt for the actual selling price. I don't know if it is still legal to do this now, or not.

Well, I've seen beautiful boats go for ridiculously low prices. I had a chance to bid on a gorgeously beautiful TY Weekender in cherry condition, (with trailer) for I think $1,700. My wife would have committed bloody murder if I towed one more boat home, so my coworker bought and still is sailing it.

I lost control of the number of sailboats I had bought, spruced up and sold. I tried to zero in on CDs, mostly Tys. As in the stock market, buy low, sell high. The point being, what is high for a Ty in nice shape?

The majority that I sold were in the high twenties, maybe up to $3,000. One real nice one brought in $3,500 and there was one exceptual dynamite Ty-WE that got $4,200, if I remember correctly. One of our CDSOA, Great Lakes Fleet members bought an *open* Ty for a ridiculous price last year. So low, I won't mention it. You probably wouldn't believe me. I remember that I told him that he didn't buy it, he stole it.

Good boats at great prices pop up when you least expect it. They are out there. It's just that you have to hear about it before the next guy does, then POUNCE on it. If you don't know much about it, then go through the normal drill procedure.

I don't know if the location in the country has any influence in the price of Tys and other CD models. I don't think that there is much of a market in Central and Western NY for a $10,000+ Ty with, or without, a trailer. But then, again, somebody, somewhere, will buy this boat at or near the asking price, allowing a little for wiggle room.

So if a clean boat on a trailer for $10,750 tickles your fancy, have at it.

Good luck. Think spring.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mgphl52

Re: Hard For Me To Comprehend

Post by mgphl52 »

Oswego John wrote: Good boats at great prices pop up when you least expect it. They are out there. It's just that you have to hear about it before the next guy does, then POUNCE on it. If you don't know much about it, then go through the normal drill procedure.
Well put, OJ. That's exactly what happened to Toni & me - in the right place at the right time, which is why KAYLA went up sale. When Tranquil arrived into our realm, Toni had been out of work for a year, but the price was to good to let her pass by. Such is life. :D

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!