Annual, waddya get for Christmas

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Curtains for Breezy (porthole not sinking)

Post by Noel Heslop »

Breezy's present was a new set of curtains and after breakfast I am very keen to instal. I did read an earlier CD topic about curtains, so I ordered from the East Coast Embroidery Company (USA) on one of your recommendations. Only 3 weeks making and delivery to Australia. Excellent service and quality.

Is there a special ritual for this? My first mate and I will probably celebrate tonight with a glass of OZ champaign.

Apologises for my ignorance, but what is a dark and stormy? I keep reading this on the CD board. Perhaps that is the go for a US boat.

We are in full summer, and this is our first time for a raft up with some friends yachts to watch the New Year fire works.

Happy New Year to you all.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
John Danicic

Re: Curtains for Breezy (porthole not sinking)

Post by John Danicic »

Noel Heslop wrote: Apologises for my ignorance, but what is a dark and stormy? I keep reading this on the CD board. Perhaps that is the go for a US boat.
I must admit. I always wondered what a "dark and stormy" was so I looked it up.

2 oz Gosling's® Black Seal rum
4 oz ginger beer

Mix ingredients together in an old-fashioned glass over cracked ice, and serve.

It appears to be the unofficial drink of Bermuda.

The ginger beer is supposed to be Bermudian but then there are variations. Check out: http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink7673.html

Sounds like it could be a nice drink for a below zero new year.

Cheers and Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
Last edited by John Danicic on Dec 29th, '09, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Scott

dark and stormy variations and test results

Post by Troy Scott »

In addition to the ingredients John listed, there is usually a twist of lime. But that's optional. As are the ratios of rum to beer. Michael Connell told me that he scientifically tested several ratios. Not one to rely on research conducted by others, we decided to conduct our own trials. We duplicated Michael's methods as closely as possible. As I recall, the first drink of the testing session consisted of two parts rum to four parts beer. Later we tested two parts rum to three parts beer. Then, to be really fair, we tried two parts beer to two parts rum. And so on..... After much research, we concluded that the first one tasted the best, but it gave most of the crew a headache. That result correlated very well with Michael's data. Forgive me if some of the other details are a little fuzzy....
Regards,
Troy Scott
Kquist
1981 CD 30c
Hull # 194
East Greenwich, RI
CD 10, Hull #100 to be restored

Post by Kquist »

I knit 7 wool watch caps for various family and friends. They will appreciate them this year. Several books (from those recommended on this site), our storage bill, new window treatments being made from my mother. Fleece and fisherman boiled knit mittens (making these for Walt, almost done).

Hope you all had/have a safe, healthy Christmas and New Year. Walt is retiring effective New Year's Eve and we are ready to start our new adventure on the water.
- Kelle
Kelle & Walt Quist
Rowe, MA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails."
Mark Twain
Ed Haley

Santa's delivery to Rhapsody!

Post by Ed Haley »

barfwinkle wrote:Rhapsody's Captain and Admiral decided to forego the traditional "Boat toys" and paid her crew's expenses for an exntended weekend in New York City. What a party!

Sorry Rhapsody.

Fair Winds
Bill, did you not get Santa's Ginger Beer delivery from the north country? Rudolf himself (driven by OJ) dropped it over your mast as he headed back for another sleighful of rum.

Ed
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hmmmm

Post by Oswego John »

Hmmmm. That's odd. I distinctly remember loading up the sleigh and heading south west. But after awhile I can't seem to recall very much.

It could have been one or more of several mishaps. Since I was busy making more ice cubes (boy, they went fast), I let Blitzen set the waypoints. How was I to realize that he was blitzed?

The GPS was useless. Rudolf pulled the batteries for his Bluetooth. He incoherently mumbled something about he wanted to hear Alvin and some other @#$% rodents.

Well, all's well that ends well.I just got back in about an hour ago. I somehow got messed up in a blizzard out there somewhere in the midwest. Everything would be just great except I can't find the Tylenol or aspirins.

On top of that, I just learned that my trollop of a dirty street walker cat with the morals of an animal is "that way" again. Great, just great.

So, I guess that I'm supposed to say Happy New Year or someth - - -

RUDOLF, PUT THAT DOWN. No, don't even think about it.

Sheesh, catch you all later. RUDOLF, NOW. Hear me? Okay, that's it. That does it.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
doubleb

Crown

Post by doubleb »

Spent half the the eve with my dentist getting a crown,
Oh joy
Spent the 2nd half chasing away the novocain. with Lites

Bud lites.

More fun.
Santa was not driving.
I did get a wallet.... wore out the last one at best buy (ouch)
The crown was more fun?

Happy Holidays

DblB
Jim Walsh

Santa is my excuse

Post by Jim Walsh »

I've not actually used Santa as my excuse but I have been on my usual refurbishment spree while Orion is hauled for the winter;
New (replacement) masthead windspeed/direction sending unit
New Amsteel topping lift (a breeze to splice)
New standing rigging with Sta-lok terminals (looks BEAUTIFUL)
New diesel tank (outstanding workmanship, superb welding)
New, to me, replacement head discharge seacock and thruhull
New 12/110 inverter
New head hoses including the holding tank manual overboard discharge (this stuff must be gold plated in the inside!)
Santa thinks everything else will wait for the Defender spring sale!
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Ahh Spring and the Defender Spring Sale... I get goosebumps just thinking about it...
Annie Ward

Santa was good to me, too

Post by Annie Ward »

A 1973 Cape Dory 25 :) And a new brass bell to install when she's ready for it.

Sorry, but the lime is required in a Dark & Stormy. Bartenders in Key West are D&S artists. The rum must be Gosling's but the ginger beer can be any brand although there are some I like more than others but I can't remember the names of the good ones right now. The headaches are more related to the amount of sugar in each drink -- there is no such thing as "diet" ginger beer and it has ungodly amounts of sugar in it, as does rum, because ... well ... that's what it's made out of. Don't forget the lime wedge. These were always my first drink of choice, although because of the sugar, I couldn't drink too many of them. Probably a good thing.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Troy Scott

Diet ginger beer

Post by Troy Scott »

The ladies who made the Dark and Stormies at the annual meeting in Havre de Grace used DIET ginger beer. The drinks were quite good. At least I think I remember that......
Regards,
Troy Scott
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

And Annie I respectfully disagree (as does a writer for the Wall Street Journal). The wedge of lime ruins the drink. Having said that I am fast approaching the juncture where the Ginger Beer ruins the Drink!

Happy New Year to All
Bill Member #250.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

barfwinkle wrote:And Annie I respectfully disagree (as does a writer for the Wall Street Journal). The wedge of lime ruins the drink. Having said that I am fast approaching the juncture where the Ginger Beer ruins the Drink!

Happy New Year to All
I have a very good friend who feels the same way. He maintains that the addition of dry vermouth will totally RUIN a perfectly good martini.

To each his own.

Happy New Year
Be safe

Dave (the younger), I haven't forgotten you. Will be in touch.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

As to the diet ginger beer -- I stand corrected, with an explanation. The diet brands I saw on my google search were not carried in Key West grocery stores when I was living there and none of the bartenders had ever heard of any being available in diet (believe me, I asked). If it had been ... wow.

As to the lime -- sorry, it's required in MY drink. The esteemed WSJ notwithstanding. :) As the man said, "to each his own."

Happy New Year, everyone.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
plumber

Post by plumber »

Well I did get one thing for the boat this year, a new CD player, there was a considerable list though. All I need is-starter, alternator, 7 or 8 gages, breaker panel or the breakers to rebuild it,inverter/charger, auto tiller, mrs switches, batteries, battery switch, 76 miles of wiring, a few light sockets, GPS system, and a bunch of fiberglass and resin, some gelcoat to fill in the big hole in the side then I might be able to get her back in the water and work on the extras.
Word of advise-----Don't sink your boat!!!!!