Repowering a Cape Dory 27 article in Cruising World

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Repowering a Cape Dory 27 article in Cruising World

Post by Sea Hunt »

Brother and Sister CDers:

Our brother Ken Textor, owner of a Cape Dory 27, has recently published an excellent article on repowering his CD 27 in the January 2010 issue of Cruising World. Color photos and all :!: Ken installed a Yanmar 1GM10.

If anyone would like a color copy of the article, please PM me your mailing address. I will be happy to mail you a copy.

It's way above my pay grade but for those that understand this stuff it sure looks like Ken's article would be very helpful.

I wish everyone a SAFE and Happy New Year. :D :D

OJ, try to slow down on the egg nog consumption rate. :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Egg Nog

Post by Oswego John »

Egg Nog, my eye.

It's those @#$%& reindeers getting into my private Captain Morgan thats driving me sane. :D

Peace to all (except Rudolf).
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Read the article in my copy of Cruising World. Just great!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

reindeer rum

Post by Alan Holman »

OJ,
I don't know you personally, but I've have admired your knowledge of all things nautical. It far exceeds mine. But, I really think you should let the reindeer have your Captain Morgan. Get yourself a good dark demerara, add a smidgen of water, and a slice of lemon if your feeling fancy, sit back and enjoy a sailor's drink.
The Meddler
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Several have sent me PMs requesting a copy of the article and including their address. Rather than respond to each PM individually, I submit this post.

You have my solemn promise I will send a copy to each person who wants a copy. It is an easy thing to do and a small payback for all this board does for me. However, rather than drive to the xerox store a bunch of times, I will wait about one week to get a list of requested recipients. I will then go to the xerox store one time, make the requested number of copies and the USPS office one time to mail all.

I apology for the delay but I did not think through the logistics before I submitted my initial post. :( As you all know, I ain't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. :roll:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Last Chance

Post by Sea Hunt »

I have a list of 7-8 folks who would like a color copy of the CD 27 repower article. They have sent me PMs with addresses, etc.

I plan to go to the xerox store tomorrow morning (assuming the oil in my truck engine is not frozen solid :wink: ) to xerox copies and mail out.

If anyone else wants a copy please send me a PM by the end of today.

Thanks.

P.S. In Miami today (I live out west near Everglades), the morning low temp was 34 degrees F :!: :!: The high today may get to 60 degrees. An even stronger cold front is coming this weekend. My poor little S/V Tadpole needs a very large "blankie" to protect her. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Oswego John

Warning

Post by Oswego John »

Robert,

Be careful when sailing on Biscayne Bay when skim ice forms. In a short time, it will saw right through the fiberglass hull at the waterline.

Maybe a band of stainless steel for a boot-top would help.

We northerners understand and feel your pain. (muffled chuckle)

BTW, did the bubbler arrive?
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt

Re: Warning

Post by Sea Hunt »

Oswego John wrote:Robert,

We northerners understand and feel your pain. (muffled chuckle)
Fulton, NY had a record 55" of snow recently :!: When Oswego, NY gets close to that record give us a heads up. Until them, please refrain from insincere offers of camaraderie. :D :wink: It's freaking freezing here :!: :!: :!: :D :wink:

The mailing list for the CD 27 repower article is now up to 10 and counting.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Robert,
Maybe the Xerox store can give you a CD with scans of the pages instead of just copies. Then you would only have to email them as attachments... Wouldn't want overload the Miami USPS workers... :wink:

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Mike:

If I had the slightest idea what you're talking about I would ask the xerox store to do that. Being the idiot that I am, well . . . . . :oops: :oops:

I'll check with my computer whiz kid "go to" guy (OJ) to see if he can explain it to me in simple monosyllabic words with a lot of pictures (which he apparently has become very adept at posting recently). :D
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
John Vigor

Post by John Vigor »

Sea Hunt wrote: I'll check with my computer whiz kid "go to" guy (OJ) to see if he can explain it to me in simple monosyllabic words with a lot of pictures (which he apparently has become very adept at posting recently). :D
Mr Hunt,

You might also want to check with your lawyer whiz kid, since you are illegally infringing Cruising World's copyright by publishing their material without consent.

The Cape Dorians you are supplying this article to should be
paying for it. A lot of work has gone into it: writing, editing, printing, distribution, all of which cost Cruising World money. If they go broke and quit publishing I shall hold you personally responsible.

John V.
Oswego John

Bah Humbug

Post by Oswego John »

Robert,

Don't listen to Mike. What does he know? He only works with puters for a living. Listen to me, the resident geek (and we'll both wind up in the slammer).

What I did was go to Staples and bought a scanner. (ska'-nahr, n., sing) another tool of the devil that is guaranteed to drive you wacko.

With lots of deep meditation and coaxing, prayer helps too, you can sometimes get it to scan, (scah' en, v.,) make copies (kop-eez, n, pl) and email (ee'-mahl, used as v. in this instance) (in-stanz).

I purchased a mid range Canon scanner for about $80.00 USD. It's worth its weight in gold as far as exercising my brain. Not a bit of rust, no moss on my north side, either. My scanner is sensitive, like my aloe-vera plant. It behaves better when you talk nice to it.

FWIW, while on the path to becoming a computer geek, I understand that antidepressants are invaluable. I'm not advanced to that point yet but I'm forging ahead at a snail's pace. I predict that I'll show marked improvement after the next decade becomes history.

So scan and email them.

Hope this helps,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

"Mr. John V."

As you are British, it is sometimes difficult to know when you are being deadly serious and when you are joking. :wink: :D I am assuming your post is serious.

Before making my initial post I actually carefully looked at my copy of the Cruising World magazine to see if there was any stated prohibition against making copies of articles for distribution to others, including brother and sister CDers. I could not find any.

I assume we all know how much I dislike most (not all :wink: ) attorneys. That said, if there is a copyright attorney on this website who believes I am illegally infringing on a copyright please let me know.

I researched the issue (as best I can given my limited computer and limited intellectual skills) and found Title 17, United States Code, Section 107, which seems to state a doctrine of "fair use". Essentially, if an article (or other item) is being copied "for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, [it] is not an infringement of copyright." 17 USC 107. Importantly, one of the four criteria for consideration of whether a "use" is a "fair use" protected by Section 107 (indeed the first criteria listed in Section 107) is "whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes. . ." id.

I would like to think that my offer of providing copies of the article to fellow CDers is for an "educational purpose". It was certainly not to make a profit as I am voluntarily and gladly absorbing the costs of copying and postage. I would also like to think (in those moments when I actually do think) that my efforts are intended to inspire "comment", offer a "teaching" moment, and allow fellow CDers to perform additional "research" on the issue of repowering their CD 27s.

All of the above being said, if I am arrested and go to jail, I would hope a few of you would visit me. John, I would be most grateful if you would visit so that I can obtain from you a signed copy of your book "Twenty Small Sailboats To Take You Anywhere" which is how I initially learned about Cape Dory sailboats and got hooked on this website in the first place. Damn you John Vigor for introducing me to a sailboat that would lead to my ignominious life of crime. :cry:

If necessary, I would like my last meal to be a double serving of Sicilian Meat and Spinach Lasagna, a few slices of Italian bread and a nice bottle of Chianti Ruffino Classico Reserve da Ducale. For desert, two (2) Sicilian cannolii with espresso. Grazie mille :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
bill2

Last Dinner

Post by bill2 »

Sea Hunt wrote:
. . .

If necessary, I would like my last meal to be a double serving of Sicilian Meat and Spinach Lasagna, a few slices of Italian bread and a nice bottle of Chianti Ruffino Classico Reserve da Ducale. For desert, two (2) Sicilian cannolii with espresso. Grazie mille :!:

ROFL - Robert - I am constantly amazed by the breadth of your knowledge . . .

Hope all goes well with you in your new ( chosen ) life of crime :wink:
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Robert & OJ,

For about 80 bucks, you should be able to pick up a great printer/scanner/fax (imagine! some people still actually fax?) that will everything you need... until it runs out of ink and you find that it costs 50 bucks to replace all of the ink cartridges... Ah, ain't technology great? :roll: :?: :roll:

-michael

PS: remember, it's all for educational purposes!

PPS: [ "offensive" comment removed... ]
Last edited by mgphl52 on Jan 7th, '10, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!