New Owner with Rudder Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

Pete,

No, when we were living aboard our Islander Freeport 41 in Key West, we were living at Oceanside Marina (now "King's Pointe Marina"). Approx. 7 miles from downtown. Nice commute to and from work which we did on bikes for awhile but then decided life is too short and bought a "conch cruiser" ('88 Suzuki Samurai) cheap. Did that for four years. There is much we miss about living on The Island of Misfit Toys (not the least of which is the greatest group of friends one could ever hope for) but we are happy in our current situation, too, so it's all good. We cruised for about a year before that and know of Boot Key -- very nice place.

If you find your pics, I'd love to see them. My husband says he is interested in borrowing your original for a little while, if you don't mind. We'll get it right back to you, and pay shipping both ways. PM me if you still want to do that and I'll send the address.

Above all, thanks so much for the encouragement. Knowing that others have done this successfully is half the battle. We'll be posting before and after pics of everything we do, probably on a personal website as others have, at some point. The websites posted already have been a huge help.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
pete faga

rudder problems 3

Post by pete faga »

Hi Annie. Send me a pm with your address and i will mail it to you. I don't need it back so you can hold it for future 25ers. It has a chip in the cup of the gudgeon which my welding/drinking buddy advised me not to weld because it's bronze. You might want to get some other opinions. You might be able to build around the chip and salvage this one. The rest of the gudgeon is ok. I think the pictures are still on the film which is STILL in the camera. I don't take to many pictures with the 35mm. I'll have them developed tomorrow and get back to you. I'll also take a picture of the gudgeon outside next to my neighbors snow man! Is the battery in Charleston lit up for the holidays? Have a great X-mas. Pete