rudder shaft corrosion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

SS pitting and prevention

Post by Troy Scott »

Jim,

After giving it some thought, I believe you're right. Now I have to learn about hull zincs.

John,

I'm glad to hear you agree with me about painting that area of the shaft. I will certainly continue to study this problem and try to get it right.
Last edited by Troy Scott on Dec 20th, '09, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Troy Scott
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Troy,
I'll be interested in what you learn about polishing and barrier coating. I am rethinking the pitting I have. Though I am confident mine is from stagnat water, polishing the pits and barrier coating may provide some protection.

Regards,
John
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

John Stone wrote: I am rethinking the pitting I have. Though I am confident mine is from stagnat water.

Regards,
John
Don't anyone ever underestimate the damage that stagnant water can cause. For about the last year and a half, our eighty five and a half foot schooner has been on the hard.

She had been tied up in stagnant water for years. The 1/4" steel plating below the waterline had developed 1/8" craters all over the underwater surface, including the steel rudder. It looked like it was hit with giant buck shot. The USCG condemned the hull and we are in the process of replating the hull.

Various sections of the damaged steel were sent to a metallurgical lab for analysis. They reported that the trouble was caused by micro biological organisms (whatever the heck that is) caused by stagnant water. I should remember to add that we sail in sweet water, not salt. I don't have a clue if that had any effect.

Btw, the corrosion occurred underneath an excellent bottom paint program. Go figure. It would be beneficial to delve deeper into this problem, if for no other reason than to discover the cause, the effect and the cure for future occurrences of this sort.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490