Des Moines to Port Townsend

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Des Moines to Port Townsend

Post by Daniel Owen »

G'day,

Just ran my new to me CD27 up Puget Sound the 50 nautical miles to her new home. She has been sitting unused for quite awhile so I was a little nervous about the trip but she performed very well. It took 10 hours and the scenery was spectacular: Olympic Mountains, Mount Ranier, Downtown Seattle, Mount Baker, Point no Point, going under the Indian Island Bridge, etc...

Most of the day was windless so the iron Yanmar genny was used the whole way while we did motor sail the last 20 miles. I am sure the dirty bottom slowed us down but I was happy with our speed.

The short daylight was an issue since the running lights along with most of the electrical system is shot on the old girl. Naupaka needs a lot of love but she is home now and the work will begin.

Cheers Dan O...................
Dan O..............
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Congratulations!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Best wishes for you and your new boat! We're girding for a heavy-duty snowstorm here in the Northeast, and it's nice to hear from CDers who can still sail.

Cheers,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Troy Scott

"new" CD27

Post by Troy Scott »

Congratulations Dan!

I wish you the best of luck with your new-to-you CD27.

You have indicated that she needs a lot of TLC. Have you developed a plan?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Post by Daniel Owen »

Troy,

I've spent the last couple of days clearing gear off the boat and putting together a to do list. The boat had 4 anchors, 250' of chain, 3ea 180' anchor lines, 5 fire extinguishers, 3 boat hooks, 12 bumpers, radar deflector, bosun chair, harness, numerous extra lines, 3 sets of flairs, 2 horns, 10 PFD's, horse shoe buoy, rescue sling, 2 full length mirrors, CATV and telco wiring and much more. Now that I have moved most of this this stuff home I can now see what I have.

I rebuilt the Whale Gusher 10 pump last night.

The mast needs to come down as the wiring is shot. Also the standing rigging appears to be original so I plan to replace it along with the lifelines. There is a crack in the port rub rail that needs repairing also. The sails and the furling gear are useable. The engine runs well as the previous owner placed a dripless coupling, new muffler, impeller and a service in the last few years.

The port lights need new gaskets as does the Bomar hatch. The Barlow winches work but need rebuilding.

The boat has a Force 10 Cozy heater and a Force 10, 2-burner cooktop. The previous owner removed the propane tank from the lazarette since it was not in a proper air tight locker. I hooked up a 1 pound camping bottle to see if the stove works and to supply some heat. I may use this system for a while as a proper propane locker can be a future project.

There is some scaling/flaking of rust under the port shroud padeyes plate. I will need to investigate more. Perhaps more backing is required or at the very least rebedding and a good coat of rust preventative paint.

The old Signet knotmeter and depth sounder are shot but there is a new in the box Raymarine combo unit needing placement. This will require patching old holes. The VHF radio is newer and works although the antenna wire up the mast is broken.

The bottom hasn't been painted in 3 years so that needs to be done. Also the deck could stand painting, especially the cockpit sole.

I'm considering having the boat hauled up to my house for a few months as I have space next to my shop. It will make work easier.

I'm retired but have been working part time for Townsend Bay Marine as an electrician. None of the tasks scare me and I'm looking forward to making Naupaka shine once again.
Dan O..............