Relocation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

DocJoe
Fair Haven, NJ

Relocation

Post by DocJoe »

We are relocating to Charleston, SC in the spring from NJ. I need to get my CD30K south. Any suggestions for a Captain and what the ballpark costs might be?

Thanks!

Joe
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Hi Joe:

I can't help you as far as contact information, costs, etc. for a captain to do the particular trip you have mentioned. However, have you considered land transport by a boat hauler as an alternative option? I'm not sure how the costs would compare. Perhaps others may wish to comment.

Jim
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

I wish my wife and I had the time to do it. We have been talking about sailing our CD30K up the East coast after spending some time in Mexico and Central America next year. You should try to find the time to take her yourself. It should be a fun trip.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Dixon Hemphill

RELOCATION

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH COASTAL SAILING YOU HAVE DONE BUT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER MAKING THE TRIP YOURSELF WITH AT LEAST ONE OTHER SAILOR. WITH PROPER PREPARATION INCLUDING GOOD WEATHER FORCASTS AND ABOUT TWO WEEKS FOR THE JOURNEY YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT EXPERIENCE.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Charleston

Post by trapper »

You might try to contact Lee Taylor,
http://www.taylormarinesurveying.com/about_us.html
He is currently in Charleston on the Solomon Lee, his CD33. He and his friend Rick may be able to do it or know who can.

If I could not do it myself, I would probably have it trucked down. You may be able to get a cheap trip south as everyone else will be heading north.

Charleston is very expensive. If you have it trucked down, you will have to find a lift to launch it. I have heard some real horror stories about some yards in Charleston. I can only relay my personal experience and that is with Dolphin Cove and they were great.

Dolphin Cove is the only wet slip marina that I know of in Charleston with a lift. If you book in there, it costs the same thing for the boat to stay on the hard as in a wet slip, so it is really to their benefit to launch you. Others may charge varying amounts for time on the hard and an additional fee for time at their dock before the boat is moved along with the lift fee and step fee.

DC also offers a substantial discount to launch and step your mast if you book in there.

They did a great job hauling my CD25D and unstepping the mast. They also hauled by husbands Colvic Victor 40 ketch and unstepped her masts as well.

We have had boats at several marinas in Charleston. I will gladly give you mho if you are interested. Charleston is lots of fun, great sailing and an awful current.
Andy Denmark

New Jersey to Charleston

Post by Andy Denmark »

Joe,

Contact me by PM.

Andy Denmark
________
Extreme vaporizer
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
marv brinn

trip

Post by marv brinn »

contact me by pm I made the trip from ny to sc.
none