I know, it's not a CD, but a nice site nonetheless

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kerlandsen

I know, it's not a CD, but a nice site nonetheless

Post by kerlandsen »

A fellow SS28 owner has put together a very nice website of the restoration of his '81 SS.

Of course I study every picture in detail.

I actually viewed his boat a few months before I found and bought mine. Sounds like he is benefitting from his handywork and investment.

http://www.pickedwiss.com/sea_sprite_28/index.html
hughesw

Nice Graphic

Post by hughesw »

Not to distract from the thread, but that is a nice graphic of the Sea Sprite 28 on the website:

[img]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh27 ... er-web.jpg[/img]
SurryMark

cousin SS

Post by SurryMark »

There's a Sea Sprite moored near me in Blue Hill, Maine - sweet both in her lines and condition. I've wondered about her lines under water, and I'd be interested if anybody knows how construction differs from the Cape Dory. Having a group like ours is extremely handy for sharing specific CD information, but it's nice to be in touch with sailors and boats with a similar sense.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I think the Sea Sprite 23 was a Carl Alberg design and the other Sea Sprites Bill Lugers? Very similar.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

Correct.

The SS23 is the much more popular design, by Carl Alberg. Very similar to the CD Typhoon Senior. The SS23 has a trap door that can close when the engine is not in use, thus less drag.

The SS 27/28, 30, and 34 were all Bill Luders designs in the late 70 into early 80's. Many were built by Clarke E. Ryder in Bristol, RI.

Many many things are simliar to the CD's. Personally, we were looking at a cd27, but had seen a Luders 34 and my wife appoved of the lines. I found the Sea Sprite 28 and it was a done deal.
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Couple of Pics

Post by CruiseAlong »

The following is a link to the SS27 (which was renamed the SS28) brochure.
Dana
http://mysite.verizon.net/darenius/SS27/ss27.html
Alan D.
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Alan D. »

SurryMark:
I own a Sea Sprite 23, but I frequently read this board because the boats are so closely related. It's a sweet boat. Here are her underwater lines:
[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/darenius/SS23/SS23_1.jpg[/img]
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Carl Alberg Design

Post by Oswego John »

One thing that I have noticed is that all of the Alberg designed sailboats seem to have the same genes throughout. Some models are bigger than their siblings, but it isn't very hard to discern the family traits inherent in the blood line.

Most of us are quite aware of the design of the CDs and the minor variations between models. We are familiar with the cut-away fore keel and the sleek bow and cutwater. Also noticeable is the stern overhang. The design of an Alberg is a thing of beauty and function.

I have to admit that I have a hangup for the Alberg line. Okay, the truth be known, I'm addicted to them. I am running out of excuses for reasons to purchase them. For reasons that are meet, just and righteous. I am attempting to kick the habit, to get the Alberg monkey off my back.

My feeble excuses were that I spent the last decade buying mostly Ty Weekenders, sprucing them up and selling them to supplement my fixed retirement income. Bah, humbug. I was succumbing to my addiction. In truth, I actually did rehab several or more of the Tys, but before many suns would set, I'd be off somewhere out of state and be trailering another one home to continually foster my habit.

Well, the time has come for me to quit fooling myself. I have come to the conclusion that I have too many *project* boats cluttering my front yard, back yard, side yards, woods surrounding my house, and behind my barn. I need help. I'm not too ashamed (deep sigh) to admit my urgent need for Albergitis rehabilitation. (sob) To hell with projects. I have higher priorities. I want to master the macarena, but that's another lengthy story.

So sadly, I have come to the conclusion that I am, (should), [must] get rid of some of my inventory. In order to make room for me to turn my autos or truck around in my driveway, I have decided to somehow get rid of one of my Ty Weekenders project boats and a 22' Alberg designed Pearson Ensign. :cry:

I haven't the foggiest price to ask. I'd probably let them go for a very reasonable offer. I have no idea at all what the Ensign is worth. I have come to the conclusion that I will probably never fix them up to pristine condition and would like somebody who would appreciate a boat like they are to give tham a good home. If anyone reading this is interested, serious inquiries will be answered by PM.

Just one thing, the boats have about a foot of snow on them now. Depending on the pattern of the lake effect snow, it is possible that we or our neighbors could have snow tonight and tomorrow that would be measured with a yardstick. Maybe 3" or 4" snow per hour. Whiteout, blizzard conditions. Ain't life grand. Maybe I'm thinking next spring is practical

Hey, count our blessings. No mosquitoes. :D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dick Villamil

Carl Albergitis

Post by Dick Villamil »

OJ - thanks for curing my wanderlust - I was thinking of retiring last year and doing just that - accumulating less than beautiful Typhoons and rehabilitating them. If only my wife would have approved I would be right where you are now - several CA boats covered with Vermont snow in the various stages of rebuilding - thankfully I (think) I have stopped with only a CD10 and one Weekender to monopolize my time and adoration!