'09 General Membership Meeting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

'09 General Membership Meeting

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

It has been a week ago to the day since we had our CDSOA annual general membership meeting. It was held in Havre de Grace, Md.

I want to tell one and all that I had a ball. I truly enjoyed myself that weekend. One of the highlights on Saturday was a two part talk by Fred Bickum who has recently completed a 'round the world sail in his CD. Extremely interesting.

Of lesser note is that I was the recipient of the Alberg Fellow award for this year. I vainly protested and publicly mentioned that the selection committee had made a grievous mistake and had chosen the wrong person for the award. :D But seriously, there are so many sailors and owners who have accomplished such great things, have sailed to far away points all over the globe and many are still there. There are many members who have written books and published detailed results of tests and experiments on boating equipment, tools and methods that have helped the rest of us so much. Many have posted self explanatory pictures. In my personal estimation, I pale in deference to them. There are so many who are so much more worthy than I.

I was awarded a beautiful burgee with the CD logo. Also embroided on the burgee was a golden letter "A" which stands for Alberg. I truly am honored with this presentation and will forever treasure it.

Seeing as I went this far, I will reluctantly mention one more thing.
To the day I die, I will never, ever, (not even think about it) adjust another person's necktie. It is a personal inside joke that happened on the eve of the general meeting. No harm done. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: It was funny, though.

I blame it on the damn dark n stormies. Yeah, that must have been it.

Thank you so very much for the award.

Respectfully,
O J

PS: Thanks to Bruce and Cathy there are many pictures of the event available if you click on the last tacky note dated 11/09 and then scroll down to "General Events" at the very bottom.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tartansailor

Congratulations

Post by tartansailor »

Congratulations; :D
A well deserved honor.

Dick
Dick Barthel

Congratulations!

Post by Dick Barthel »

I add my amen to the fact that you are most worthy of special recognition by this terrific organization that perpetuates Mr. Alberg's legacy. I'm glad you had a great time.

The tie episode is a real mystery given that the crowd you hang with doesn't have a tie between them!

Congratulations OJ!

Dick
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Congratulations OJ :!: :!: Much deserved.

Sorry I missed the "adjusting another person's necktie" episode. I hope this person's neck brace will be off in a few weeks and that he will regain a full range of motion within 6-8 months . :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Congratulations OJ!

For a profile of each of the Alberg winners check the latest Masthead, already online or coming soon to your mailbox.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
mgphl52

Re: '09 General Membership Meeting

Post by mgphl52 »

Oswego John wrote: PS: Thanks to Bruce and Cathy there are many pictures of the event available if you click on the last tacky note dated 11/09 and then scroll down to "General Events" at the very bottom.
Congrats OJ!!! I also agree that it's well deserved.
However, I find nothing tacky about the sticky notes... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

There were 4 inductees as "Alberg Fellows"....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

There were actually 4 inductees as CDSOA "Alberg Fellows". OJ was the only one in attendance. The others are Al Lawton, Walt Bilofsky and Dave Stump. Read more about the "Alberg Fellows" inductees here....

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Congratulations, OJ. I was honored to be able to meet you in person after reading many of your contributions to this board.
Regards, Bill
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

This is a question from "way over the horizon".

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the annual meeting. In addition to meeting CD members I wanted to listen to Fred Bickum's talk about his solo circumnavigation. Not that I will ever do it, but Fred's posts and website sure sounded like great fun - most of the time.

If anyone had a video camera and recorded his talk, I would happily pay good money for a copy. I am told by our next door neighbor's 10 year old that I can view either a CD or DVD. I asked him if he knew about VHS tapes and he looked at me like I was talking about a relic. Sad, sad commentary. :(

I have some good 8 track cassettes if anyone wants to buy or trade them. :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

GM Sea Hunt

To my knowledge (& memory :roll: ) I dont recall anyone recording Fred. Perhaps he didnt want to be recorded, but I don't recall anyone with a camcorder.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

That's a bummer. I had asked ahead of time if someone could record it but I guess no one did ....
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Bob Ohler

Fred's presentation

Post by Bob Ohler »

I am sure Fred's presentation was both informative and proprietary.

Bob Ohler
CD30
Aloha Spirit