radar location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

radar location

Post by moctrams »

Been investigating a new radar for Gabbiano. Getting lot of data regarding placement of the radar dome. Some folks with cutter rigs are telling me not to place the dome where the staysail will interfere. I have sailed Westsails with the Dome right above the spreaders and could not see any difference with the staysail up or down. Any views?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I considered the options but never with sail interference as an issue.

A pole or backstay mount might have been nice. For me, cost was the biggest factor at the time. The mast mount is by far the cheapest. After mounting there I have come to think it was a very good choice of location even disregarding the cost.

I like the idea that all radar waves are well out of my personal space no matter where I am on the boat. The mast mount might give you a slightly better range and get you above larger seas. The weight aloft is not good but at least it moves it forward. My stern is already squatting so I didn't need to add anything back there that could go elsewhere.

As far as your initial concern about the staysail, I would say it is entirely unfounded. The rig, sail and dome don't physically interfere nor does the signal seem to suffer.

You just need a junction box, which I mounted on the bulkhead behind the head door, for when you go to take down the mast.

Mine is just above the spreaders, Steve.