Website with Original Brochures of most Cape Dory sailboats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Website with Original Brochures of most Cape Dory sailboats

Post by Sea Hunt »

In my continuing search for a Cape Dory 25D I came across the following website:

http://www.floridaboats.net/archive/cap ... index.html

I hope I am copying the website correctly. It appears to be about 7 pages with 10-12 photographs on each page of original Cape Dory brochures for most (possibly all) Cape Dory sailboats from the Typhoon to the Cape Dory 45. You can click on each individual photograph and enlarge it to read the article or look at the photos. Great stuff, at least for a Cape Dory junkie like me. :wink:

It was fascinating to read some of the original language used by Mr. Valvolotis and his team in advertising these wonderful sailboats.

Cathy, or other Internet gurus/moderators, if I copied the website correctly, and if it appears to be something appropriate for this board, perhaps you could figure out a way to include this website on our website, possibly in the "Where to Look" section.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Great find, Robert! I well remember drooling over the new brochures when they came out as I got "addicted" to Cape Dorys in the mid-70s. Sure wish I had held on to those pages... :cry:

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
The Patriot

Original Brochures - A Few Odd Drawings (?)

Post by The Patriot »

Sea Hunt wrote: ... I came across the following website:

http://www.floridaboats.net/archive/cap ... index.html

... about 7 pages with ... photographs ... of ... Cape Dory brochures ... Great stuff ...
I quite agree. It's like going to the Cape Dory museum in East Taunton. I thought I'd seen most of the old brochures but I was quite mistaken.

Just as interesting as the material itself are what appear to be mistakes in the printed material. For example the CD 30 ketch is drawn with 5 port lights, while the CD 36 ketch is drawn with four port lights. This should probably be reversed since the drawings for each yacht seem about right for the intended lengths and interiors.

I can imagine spending many hours minutely examining these photos.
Watermark II

CD30K Portlights

Post by Watermark II »

Our ketch, hull #2, has five portlights.
But we hav'nt seen others that way!

Andy
Watermark II
CD30K #2
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

mgphl52 wrote: Sure wish I had held on to those pages... :cry:

-mike & Toni
I do not because I am not very computer literate (this is well documented elsewhere), but I am confident Toni knows how to enlarge and print out the various images on the Cape Dory brochures website.

Perhaps someone can share the procedure with neanderthals like me. I used to call myself "computer challenged" but that phrase did not adequately convey the abysmal lack of knowledge I have about computers. "Neanderthal" is succinct and conveys my stupidity with an easily understood word.

Anyone want lessons in the operation and care of a slide rule :?: Mine has historical significance circa 1950s and 1960s. It was used by my father to help design the guidance systems for Polaris submarine ballistic missile warheads. Sometimes, the apple does far very, very far from the tree. :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Barthel

terrific find

Post by Dick Barthel »

Robert,

What a terrific find. I have seen the front page of the 25D brochure many times but never the full brochure. You must feel something of the joy of an archeologist on a big find.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your search for the perfect 25D...one will come along.

Dick
bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

already linked to "where to look"

Post by bifcondor »

Just FYI, the Typhoon pages are available through this web site via the where to look link. Don't know about the others. However, the floridaboats site presents the thumbnails so you can browse easily.
The Patriot

CD30K and CD36K Portlight Configurations

Post by The Patriot »

Watermark II wrote:Our ketch, hull #2, has five portlights.
But we hav'nt seen others that way! ...
Perhaps I'm easily entertained, but I still find this to be an interesting quirk and a candidate for the next CD Trivia Quiz. I'd always thought that the CD line ran something like this: 25, 25D, 26, 26D, and 27 - 3 ports p/s; 28, 30 (various), 31, and 32 - 4 ports p/s; 33, 330, 36, 40, and 45 - 5 ports p/s. Not only does the CD30K break this rule, but it appears that the CD36K has 4 instead of 5 ports. How many of the CD30K and the CD36K were built? Paging Andy Denmark. Help!

I hope I can get to sleep tonight.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

We have most of them right here.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

We have most but not all of them. And the ones accessible from our web site are full size so you can actually read them.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
bifcondor

Re: CD30K and CD36K Portlight Configurations

Post by bifcondor »

kerrydeare wrote:
Watermark II wrote:Our ketch, hull #2, has five portlights.
But we hav'nt seen others that way! ...
Perhaps I'm easily entertained, but I still find this to be an interesting quirk and a candidate for the next CD Trivia Quiz. I'd always thought that the CD line ran something like this: 25, 25D, 26, 26D, and 27 - 3 ports p/s; 28, 30 (various), 31, and 32 - 4 ports p/s; 33, 330, 36, 40, and 45 - 5 ports p/s. Not only does the CD30K break this rule, but it appears that the CD36K has 4 instead of 5 ports. How many of the CD30K and the CD36K were built? Paging Andy Denmark. Help!

I hope I can get to sleep tonight.
Is it just me or does it seem you have ignored the Typhoon as a boat in the CD line?
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

We have some of the brochures for the Typhoon right here on this web site. Their in the "Groups & Publications" area of the "Where to Look" section. And they're full size so you can print and read'em.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Cathy Monaghan

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt wrote:
mgphl52 wrote: Sure wish I had held on to those pages... :cry:

-mike & Toni
I do not because I am not very computer literate (this is well documented elsewhere), but I am confident Toni knows how to enlarge and print out the various images on the Cape Dory brochures website.....
You can't really enlarge them without losing resolution. They'll be very blurry. Just print and read ours.

Cathy
Andy Denmark

Portlights

Post by Andy Denmark »

Armand,

This is a headscratcher for me but I will hazard a WAG.

I know there were some 30-K's with 5 portlights as there is one right here in Oriental and I looked at another one in Florida. I recall someone found CD-27 #1 abandoned in a boatyard somewhere up north with 4 portlightss but, if so, that's the only 27 I know with 4. As for the 36-K, I really have no idea.

David Perry is probably the guy to clear this up.

My $.02 worth
________
R100S
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

bifcondor wrote: Is it just me or does it seem you have ignored the Typhoon as a boat in the CD line?
I certainly didn't mean to slight any boat owners here. Does your Typhoon have 3, 4, or 5 ports?
bifcondor

Post by bifcondor »

kerrydeare wrote:
bifcondor wrote: Is it just me or does it seem you have ignored the Typhoon as a boat in the CD line?
I certainly didn't mean to slight any boat owners here. Does your Typhoon have 3, 4, or 5 ports?
Man made, manufactured or accidental? Not to mention the sun roof.