Clogged cockpit drains

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Vigor

The vodka cure

Post by John Vigor »

GLutzow wrote:Try mixing several LARGE bottles of Hot Sauce in with the bottom paint. I find this, believe it or not, to be effective.
Greg, I always mix a quart of vodka into every gallon of bottom paint. This mixture attracts a lot of critters as the word gets around, but they all end up upside down on the seabed the next morning with bad hangovers, having completely forgotten how to hang on.

Cheers,

John V.
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Wow, John, I've been doing it wrong. I drink the vodka while applying the bottom paint and when I'm finished I don't give a damn if it works or not.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you offered the vodka to some of the folks that hang around the boat yard you might get them to paint the bottom for you.

I have heard of the hot sauce addition before with claimed good results. I am not sure if the people who use it have done test patches to really qualify the results. It is hard to imagine that the chemists who formulate today's bottom paints could have missed this if it works so well. It certainly doesn't seem to hurt.

Has anyone who has used the hot sauce ever tasted their bottom paint after it has been in the water for a while to see if it still has some zing?

You could buy salsa and chips instead of hot sauce and all would be well in the world, Steve.