Galley Foot Pump Placement - CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Galley Foot Pump Placement - CD27

Post by Shipscarver »

Who has installed a foot pump in a 27?
I have the new Gusher sitting in the box. But, the way the sole is angled to the side on the CD27, how did you install? Did you screw it to the sole, bolt it outside the compartment or inside and cut through the strip between sole and engine cover, etc.? Where & how? Do you have a pic? Duhhhh? :oops:
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Andy Denmark

Whale pump[ installation

Post by Andy Denmark »

I'm putting a new Whale foot pump in Rhiannon while access is easier (engine out).

WIll take some pictures today and post them tomorrow.
________
Extreme vaporizer
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

L or r

Post by Jimbo »

This is one of those things that has bubbled to the top of the to do list. My ? Is they sell them in a left or right model and I do not know what the difference is or which one I would need.
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

galley foot pump

Post by Shipscarver »

Looking at my new pump, I think the left/right issue relates to the side where the intake and output nozzles are mounted. I didn't know there was a left/right when I ordered it at the WM store. But, the box says, "RIGHT."
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

foot pump

Post by Shipscarver »

BTW - while trying to figure out how to mount the unit, I realized the bilge access is where I should put it. And when I looked into the tiny access slot I saw an electrical wire running through. Any idea what that is to?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

If memory serves Peter Baumgartner installed a galley foot pump when he overhauled his CD27 "London". He has photos and a description in his book "London Goes To Sea".
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

foot pump CD27

Post by Shipscarver »

My copy of, London Goes To Sea, is paperback. No pictures, but a few line drawings. One drawing shows the foot pump coming out of the starboard settee, where the angled buildup from sole to the settee is. But, he said elsewhere in the book that the foot pump was under the sink. No help. :roll:
I had considered installing it in the side of the settee originally but didn't want to deal with the angled wood between sole and the side of the settee.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I can't lay my hands on the book at this moment (no doubt buried beneath tons of other books on my overcrowd bookshelves) but I distinctly remember a photo of the foot pump pedal installed under the sink. If I can find it maybe I can scan it in and send it to you....if there is enough detail to be of any help.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I considered taking this project on as well. At the end of the day, I couldn't imagine a good solution so I gave up on it.
Mark Abramski
barfwinkle

right or left matters

Post by barfwinkle »

I installed a whale foot pump on Rhapsody and the "stock" pump from WM was the wrong side. I had to send the first one back and special order the correct one. I dont recall if my is left or right, but think it would be a left. As you look at the face of the pump (as it is installed) the intake and discharge nipples are on the left.

There is NO WAY the opposite pump could have been install at the location I chose.

Fair winds and I love mine.

OH and dont forget the Annual Meeting Nov 6-8 in Havre de Grace MD... YAWL COME!
Bill Member #250.
Andy Denmark

Old picture

Post by Andy Denmark »

Here's an older picture of the foot pump on Rhiannon That I installed when the boat was commissioned in 1983. The teak escutcheon plate dresses it up some.

What made this job easy was taking time to make a nice template for the mounting holes and foot lever. This would be a tough job without that fifteen minute effort.

I'll try and get the promised pictures this afternoon and post them.

[img]<a%20href="http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff27 ... 0Pump"></a>[/img]
________
Starcraft Ii Replays
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

cd27 foot pump

Post by Shipscarver »

Great picture. Thanks. I had not considered going above the sole level. I guess the standing balance factor at sea wouldn't be a problem since there is a grab bar near.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Andy Denmark

Today's Pictures

Post by Andy Denmark »

Shipscarver,

Took these this afternoon. They're self-explanatory. These views won't be available after the raw water plumbing and sink drain hoses are installed (maybe tomorrow?). Timing is everything!

[/img]Image
________
Drug Test
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Post by Sandy D. »

Hey great pics Andy. So is that pump a lefty or a righty? Thanks again for the pics.

-Sandy
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

cd27 foot pump

Post by Shipscarver »

Nice tubing. I have seen nothing but the clear unreinforced tubing at WM.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf