Cowl vent

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

Cowl vent

Post by Jay B. »

Hi there Cape Dory folks. Recently I was cleaning up our CD25 after a beautiful day sailing and my big foot came in contact with my "not so tightly fitting" cowl vent that is on the engine compartment cover. Well, over the side it went. As I watched it fading from view thought how conventient it would be if they floated. Of course, they do not.

I was wondering if anyone that has replaced their old faded dirty vents for nice shiny new ones and would like to part with the old dirty ones. I was thinking, if I purchased a new one, it would stick out like a sore thumb...but if I replaced it with a used one, it would match everything else and be pretty much transparent.

If not, does anyone have a good source for a new one?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
sealark
"Sea Lark"

I feel better now!

Post by sealark »

Jay,

I did the exact same thing about 6 months ago. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one.

As far as finding a new one - I ended up just buying it off some online site - although I can't recall which one.

As far as resolving the issue of the dirty one you still have - I ended up painting that one and my large cowl vent on the dorade box with the special spray paint they sale at the Home Depot for "Plastics". I think it is made by Krylon - cost about $5 a can.

It has worked beautifully - and now 5-6 months later (in the Florida sun) - it looks as good as the day I painted it. (and it matches the new one pretty well)

Just a suggestion.

Kevin
Jay B.

Cowl Vent

Post by Jay B. »

Thanks Kevin...I felt kinda stupid when it sank to the bottom. I looked around though and no one saw. ;)

I guess the 3" Nicro PVC Low Profile vents are the one I need. Does that sound right? I found one for $36.

Jay
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Cowl Vent Paint

Post by RMeigel »

Question re paint that still looks good - did you prep the cowl vent with anything?
MFC
Hull No.128

Try

Post by MFC »

You might try calling sailors exchange in St Augustine FL. They have lots of used equipment and might have a cowl vent that was suitably sized and aged. Google them. They have a website, but it doesn't have an inventory list.
Matt
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Repaint Prep

Post by sealark »

I lightly sanded out a couple marks (kind of like burn marks - maybe from a line running over the vent) and then cleaned it really well with acetone - then painted it.

If I recall - I think it actually might say on the can not to use any kind of primer - as it defeats the whole idea of the paint chemically bonding with the surface.

Kevin
Jay B.

Cowl Vent

Post by Jay B. »

Well, I ordered a vent from Mikes Marine Supply about a month ago and still have not received it. They are claiming that the supplier keeps moving back the ship date. Has anyone else ever had any experience with Mikes?
Jay