Cape Dory 28 Haul Out question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DaveCD28

Cape Dory 28 Haul Out question

Post by DaveCD28 »

Hi guys,

I finally got my Cape Dory to my home port. Had a nice 2 day sail from Palm Coast, FL. down to Melbourne, Fl. Stayed in the ICW, anchored in the Mosquito Lagoon (luckily a southerly breeze all night helped keep it from living up to it's name) to spend the night, and made Melbourne the following day.

Now it's time to have her hauled out to repair the cutlass bearing and get the bottom repainted.

Here is my question:

I'm scheduled to take the boat to a close by boat yard/marina (Pineda Point) to get the work done. The price is very good, but they said since thir travel lift is enclosed, meaning a sailboat with it's mast erect cannot fit into it), they are going to haul it with the marine forklift. They regularly haul large power boats with it and think it can handle the 10000 lbs of the Cape Dory (with my gear on board), but after thinking about it I am concerned that since the hull is round (bow to stern) wouldn't that put extreme stress on the part of the hull that is lifting the boat out?

Should I insist on forklift straps or find a marina with a different travel lift, or do you think the hull is fine being lifted out like that?

Thanks,
-David Cruickshank
Cape Dory 28 #174 "Alaina"
mattlydon

Post by mattlydon »

DEFINATELY USE STRAPS

You WILL mess up your boat using forklift arms - the entire 9000 lb load would be placed upon an extremely small area of hull.

Find out if they have a crane and pull your mast. I pull mine down every winter - it takes about an hour each way, using the black and tackle mast crane at my club. As the boat's a new acquisition, it's a good idea to examine everything up top anyway.

Matt
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

When hauling my 26D the yard used a monster forklift, but with straps. I've seen smaller sailboats hauled just sitting on the forks, but I'd be reluctant to do that with a 5 ton boat because of the load concentrations, as you observed. Forklifts are designed for relatively straight planing powerboat hulls, not full keel sailboats.

I'd ask for straps - it might be a little more work on their part but its the better way - and make your decision based on their response.
Last edited by BillNH on Sep 8th, '09, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Thanks for the reponses. I think you guys confirmed what I was thinking. I will ask for straps for the forklift, and if they don't have any I will find another boat yard.

Incidentally, I already climbed up to the top and checked everything up there. I used a 40' extension ladder, tied to the mast every 5 feet, and a harness with a sling around the mast. It worked well. I will post some pictures soon.

-David
Dixon Hemphill

CD28 outhaul

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I agree, definitely find a boatyard that will lift your boat out with straps, not a forklift.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Also, make sure the two straps are secured to each other with a horizontal line on each side of your CD 28. The curvature of the forward part of the hull can allow the forward strap to slip forward and out causing the bow to fall forward and . . . well, you get the idea.

The horizontal straps prevent this. I did this with S/V Tadpole and the yard manager agreed and made sure his crew secured the straps port and starboard.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Forklift with straps should be OK

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

When I bought my 28 the yard launched it with a forklift and straps. I was very nervous. I asked "are you sure", they said no problem. It went fine. But I wouldn't want to do it without the slings. With slings the weight bears on the keel. That's a very strong part of the boat. Actually the whole boat is strong, but why take a chance. They are designed to be lifted with straps.

Good Luck
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
bill2

straps and placement

Post by bill2 »

FWIW -

I'd definitely follow Sea Hunts advice to secure the forward and aft straps on each side to prevent their shifting when lifting the hull.

I've also seen yards - ahem - misjudge - the location of the rudder ( and possibly the forefoot ) . Mistakes on the forefoot allow the hull to shift - one reason to secure the straps fore to aft - but putting a strap under the rudder is a sure way to damage it - it just isn't designed to lift the boat.

Safest approach is to show the marina a profile of the hull so they can figure out where its safe to lift . I've seen some owners mark their hull - discreetly - for future use .

Good Luck
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Marking strap locations

Post by Roy J. »

The best system for letting the yard know where to put the straps I ever saw was on a boat awaiting launch in Rockland, ME. They had 4 of those back plastic engraved nameplates about 2" by 3/4" screwed into the rubrails at the strategic spots. The plates had "Lifting Straps Here" engraved into them, showing very white against the black background in a clear sans serif font. Very clever, discrete, permanent but unmissable by any but the most unobservant, and the owner did not have to be there at every haul.
Roy Jacobowitz
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

CD28 Lifting points

Post by Ldybg »

We now tie straps of all boats for and aft when we haul or launch at RYC.

Good reference points for the CD28 are the aft cockpit/cabin bulkhead and the bulkhead between the v-berth port and the head port. Although if the straps are the same length and cannot be adjusted, she will lift nose down.

You can move the aft strap further aft, ABOVE the rudder and she'll be pretty level.

I'll look for a picture

Dennis
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Photos of my CD 28 Launched with a Forklift

Post by sealark »

I think these photos pretty much show what has been described. This is how the yard launched my 28 this past spring. Note the line connecting the front and rear straps.

Also - note the paper wrapped around the straps - just a precautionary thing - but when they moved my boat around the yard a few weeks earlier - the dirt on the straps left marks on the hull.

[img]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 ... 91600a.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 ... 91559c.jpg[/img]
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Thanks for the pictures! Doesn't look so scary there.