A large project begins, cabin sole replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Re: More photos

Post by Kilgore »

Russell wrote:
Jasper the cat needed to inspect the area as well....

Nope, no cheezburgers here either!
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hey Russell,

http://www.ladypauline.com/ doesn't seem to be working.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
sfreihofer

Sole Replacement

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Russell;

Just in case it is pertinent, the sole on my CD25 was also glued to the liner floor and screwed around the edges. The mastic used was suspiciously akin to "Liquid Nails". The glue was not 'spread' in a thin coat across the floor as was yours; It was applied in 'splotches', with the sole laid on top of it. The sole was very firm underfoot, so this method of application did not appear to have a down-side.

But, I think perhaps it had an up-side, although I'm not sure it was intended. My boat had suffered repeated and prolonged interior flooding, yet the sole suffered no rot. There was some minor delamination and some serious staining... but no rot.

I believe the reason is because the splotches of glue held the sole slighltly above the floor, allowing adequate drainage and aeration (drying) of moisture trapped under the sole.

It's just a theory, but it may be worthy of consideration when you replace the sole.

Here is a photo showing how the mastic had been applied to the liner floor in my CD25.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.