New Typhoon owner- help!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John383

New Typhoon owner- help!

Post by John383 »

We just purchased a Typhoon, currently "Tap-Tap" out of Marblehead harbor, Salem side- wonderful sailing boat. We have previously sailed extensively in a Bristol 27, and owned a Cheoy Lee Lion 35 for several years. Downsized to a Precision 15 CB, promptly capsized it, and traded it back in for a keel version- great boat. Now using the P15 in Maine (Penobscot Bay, near Belfast), and this week bought the Typhoon.

We (my wife and I) could use some help with some questions about this boat:

1. If you use the motor bracket, is it really feasible to take a motor on and off- and where do you store the motor- I guess below decks? We have a Honda 2 HP 4 cycle on our P15..planning to use that.

2. The boom rides up quite a bit, and flies about, downwind...has anyone added a vang to solve this? Any suggestions on size/model/ placement?

3. The main sheet is currently handled through a Harken block attached at a single point near the tiller- and passes through single block at boom end- is this factory spec?

See:
http://johnwiecha.smugmug.com/Other/Sai ... 5738_t8xRf

(I have seen other arrangements in photos online- this boat is from 74 or 74...Hull # 645).

I'm sure we'll have more questions...thank you all!

John W.
John Wiecha, Portland, ME
Ty Weekender and CD 330
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Welcome, good luck with your Typhoon.
1. I keep my motor locked on the bracket and the removable Spartan bracket locked to the aft cleat. The boat is on a mooring.
2. while I do have a vang I don't have any info handy on it, I would have to check the specs on it
3.The main sheet should run thru double blocks
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Doesn't appear to be original. Neither is mine but here is how I did mine.

Check with Garhauer.com for a good boom vang at a reasonable price.
Have A Nice Day
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I added a dedicated stainless U bolt directly in front of the motor mount to lock the motor and mount to. We never found it too practical to store the motor down below. The 2HP Honda is a great motor for the TY as long as it has a long shaft.

I also added another stern cleat on the other side of the stern.

For the vang we simply added a bail to the base of the mast and the boom.

Your main sheet arrangement is not original but will work as well as the original arrangement. To improve upon that you could add a traveler. We put a nice little Harken on ours. It is lots of fun to play with and will help with the boom riding up as well as give you better sail trimming options.

A topping lift is another nice addition to help with reefing while underway. The pigtail on the backstay is nice to keep for when the boat is sitting on her mooring.

Congratulations on your new boat. You are going to love her. No worries about capsizing a TY, Steve.
John383

motor

Post by John383 »

Thank you both!
Novotny-- can you kick your motor up out of water while on the Spartan bracket, or does the bracket prevent you from doing that...and so, does the propeller always rest in the water?

If so, does it seem to produce any appreciable drag?

John W.
Ty Weekender and CD 330
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello John:

1. Motor mount. S/V Tadpole has a Spartan motor mount (I believe original) and a 2005 Suzuki 6 hp 4 stroke long shaft outboard. When I tilt up the O/B fully it completely comes out of the water and the prop is completely out of the water. My O/B is, for me, too heavy to remove it daily after each sail. I leave it on the motor mount and secured with a cable and lock to the starboard aft deck cleat. I believe there are some Ty owners who religiously remove their O/B after each sail. They store it in the cabin on the floor. For me, too much work. :)

2. Boom vang. I installed a Garhauer boom vang (Model No. 25-UA 4-1). I believe it was about $95-$100. It works VERY well and, at least to me, appears to compliment the classic nature of Ty Weekenders. There was a bail on the mast near the tabernacle and a small bail on the boom about 1/3 of the way aft from the mast. The Garhauer boom vang fit perfectly. It was very easy to install. When properly equipped, the boom vang can also serve as a preventer on downwind runs.

3. Main sheet. S/V Tadpole has the original mainsheet configuration. While not ideal, it is the way Mr. Alberg and Mr. Valvolitis designed it and I am in favor of keeping things as designed (at least as much as possible :wink: )
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
John383

Sea Hunt

Post by John383 »

Hi Sea Hunt- thanks for the reply and info!

Do you think our main sheet setup is orig? Please see link to image in my first posting...

Thanks!

John W.
Ty Weekender and CD 330
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Mainsheet

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7cf3 ... /ry%3D480/

This is modified from the original rigging which also used the second block seen just aft.
Congratulations on your new Ty!
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Vang

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Here's the vang-I use a triple block at he mast and a triple block with a cam on the boom-it gives a bit of a finer adjustment.

I have a 3hp 2-stroke Yamaha on the Spartan bracket where it stays, when tilted up its fully out of the water

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

John W,

This is not my boat but the mainsheet arrangement is identical to mine and, I believe, original to my 1980 vintage Typhoon. The mainsheet starts at a becket on the boom block, runs down through the aft Schaefer stand-up block, back up through the boom block, down through the forward stand-up block and through a fixed fairlead/cam cleat.

This is a close-up of the blocks and cam cleat on my Typhoon.

I also have a Garhauer boom vang attached to a Schaefer padeye at the base of the mast and to a bail on the boom.

To discourage theft and corrosion, I store my 2 hp Honda long shaft and the bronze motor mount between outings below in the quarter berth between outings, in spite of the awkwardness of removing it.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Re: motor

Post by novotny »

John383 wrote:Thank you both!
Novotny-- can you kick your motor up out of water while on the Spartan bracket, or does the bracket prevent you from doing that...and so, does the propeller always rest in the water?

If so, does it seem to produce any appreciable drag?

John W.
Yes, I can kick up the motor, its a 5hp long shaft Nissan. Some of the photos in this thread show kicked up motors on a Spartan bracket. As far as the main sheet set up, mine is like Rikanaka's, I believe that is the original set up. Have fun
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

John383 wrote:Hi Sea Hunt- thanks for the reply and info!

Do you think our main sheet setup is orig? Please see link to image in my first posting...

Thanks!

John W.
John:

I do not think your mainsheet setup is original. Mine is like RIKanaka. I have looked at a lot of Typhoon Weekenders - certainly not as many as "OJ" and others on this board, but, nevertheless, a lot. What I would call the "originals" looked like RIKanaka. Mine, for better or worse, looks like RIKanka. It works well for me.

We now have 3 Ty Weekenders moored at the local sailing club (1971 - 1978). They are all beautiful and all rigged as RIKanaka's photo. Of course, S/V Tadpole is, and remains, "the prettiest girl in the fleet". :D :D :D

I do think Sharbait's mainsheet setup is cleaner and neater and probably a little easier to handle.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097