VHF radio to GPS

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

VHF radio to GPS

Post by moctrams »

Does anyone have ant experience connecting a GARMIN 420 chart plotter to an ICOM IC-M422 VHF radio for the DSC function?

Connected the "BLUE NMEA 1 OUT" lead of my GARMIN 420 GPSMAP to my ICOM IC-M422 VHF radio "NMEA IN LEAD" and entered my MMSI 9 digit number into my ICOM radio.

My ICOM radio does not display "GPS" indicating the GARMIN is NOT sending Lat/Long data to my ICOM radio.

Opened a ticket with GARMIN (no response) and ICOM. ICOM is telling me the “shieldâ€
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Might help.

Post by eb1smith »

Look at page 17. Data (-) is the power ground.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/1675_Ins ... ctions.pdf
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Set your Garmin output to "NMEA"

Post by Joe Myerson »

Be sure to set the output on your Garmin to "NMEA." Some units default to "Garmin," which is not generally readable by other manufacturers' devices.

Just a thought.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
moctrams

ICOM reply

Post by moctrams »

Got this technical help from ICOM with a very good PIC/diagrams
There is a detailed Knowledge Base article 5BNE525769 that covers connecting a GPS found at: www.IcomAmerica.com

Most of the wires on the IC-M422 are shielded wires because these radios are used on government and commercial vessels where all wiring must be shielded to prevent interference. Not all consumer grade equipment is built this way so your GPS might not use shielded wires and might provide standard wires.

Shielded wire such as that used on the IC-M422 has a black outer covering, then under that is a braided shield that surrounds the red NMEA IN + wire. The wire inside the RED insulation is the NMEA IN + lead, the braided shield that surrounds the RED insulation and is under the black outer covering is the NMEA IN - lead. Please connect these two leads as per all of the previous email, your GPS instruction manual and the details in the Knowledge Base article 5BNE525769 available at: www.ICOMAmerica.com
gates_cliff

Re: VHF radio to GPS

Post by gates_cliff »

Decided to update my VHF today with MMSI. So went on BoatUS site to get MMSI number. Started going through the form and it asked if my boat would ever be in foreign waters. I might go to the Bahamas someday, we'll at least I'd like to think I might. So not certain how to proceed. Any thoughts?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

Found the following information on the following web site:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT.MC ... Au.FtMj6Q-

MARITIME MOBILE SERVICE IDENTITY
Definition: "Maritime mobile service identities are formed of a series of nine digits which are transmitted over the radio path in order to uniquely identify ship stations, ship earth stations, coast stations, coast earth stations and group calls." Named by ITU. (from Article 19.100 of the ITU Radio Regulations)
Used for: DSC identifier, universal ship borne Automatic Identification System (AIS), 406 MHz EPIRB identifier, SITOR (narrow-band direct printing) identifier, basis for certain Inmarsat identifiers.
Data element data type: character string
Data element maximum length: 9 digits (See Note)
Data element domain: numeric
Alias Name: MMSI (abbreviation approved by ITU), or Digital Selective Calling (DSC) number, or AIS identity.
Note: The first three digits of the MMSI are Maritime Identification Digits defined by Appendix 43 of the ITU Radio Regulations, identifying the country to which the vessel belongs. "366" is one of the MID assigned to the United States. The MMSI is also used by several foreign countries for 406 MHZ EPIRBs. In DSC, a 10th digit may be transmitted as described in ITU-R Rec M. 1080.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

So......... :?:
Slainte sails far inland, but we are on the Mississippi, so Mexico is not out of the question.
I would answer YES and hope to make it come true.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Boat.US only does MMS1 for those who never go foreign. If you may leave the country you go to http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home and start the process here. I licensed my VHF at the same time just to get it all done. Pretty pricey though for something which cost a couple bucks in the 70's. FCC licensing must be a profit center for the Feds now that they can't hide their extravagances behind NASA. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

I went to the following web site:(http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/cga_mids.sh?lng=E) and the first three digits of my MMSI number are 367, followed by my six digit Maritime Identification Digits ending in "zero".
My FCC license information states "Does ship make international voyages? "No ". I guess if I want to go offshore, I can change this field? Got a response from FCC and this field cannot be changed. I guess the only way to change the field to "YES" is to cancel the license and reapply.