dogs on boats?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mattlydon

dogs on boats?

Post by mattlydon »

I was just reading a post on cockpit cushions, in which it was stated that S/V Liquidity sails with 2 labs, one chocolate, one yellow.

I have the same, and couldn't imagine sailing with them. My male chocolate is a 90 lb brute, the female yellow is 50 lbs.

I would think they would absolutely kill my boat, between scratching everything up, chewing in anxiety, etc., never mind getting them on and off the boat. And bathroom breaks?

how do you folks who cruise with dogs handle the details?

Matt
grabhamb

Sailing w/Dogs

Post by grabhamb »

We have a Gordon Setter who loves the water and sailing. He goes with us most of the time and can hop in and out of my inflatable Zodiac without any trouble. I have a side mount ladder and built a small extension from one of the steps so that he can step directly onto the pontoon and then into the bottom of the dinghy. He is, however, used to long periods of time between potty breaks (8 hours is not unheard of). When he's on the boat and we're underway he wears a flotation device. When we're heeled over he stays in the cockpit footwell. Most of the other times he's sitting on top of the cockpit lockers. When at anchor he is still protective of the boat and will bark at anyone or thing approaching. He loves the water and sailing and I can't imagine going anywhere without him. Given a proper introduction to the boat I think most dogs enjoy being with their owners.
Bob Grabham,
S/V Hunky Dory
Regent Point Marina
Topping, VA
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The labs are about 65 lbs each. Shedding aside, there are no issues sailing with them. No scratching and no chewing. Note that we sail with two humans and two dogs. More of either category would get crowded.

The dogs are well walked before we start and are good for six hours or so before they need to land.

Sailing, they tend to prefer sleeping on the leeward side or on the cockpit sole. Roxy (my chocolate) has been sailing for 10 years (since 6 months) and pretty much taught herself to "tack." Action in the cockpit will wake her and she goes to the other side rather than slide off as leeward becomes the new windward.

Both dogs were PFDs and I keep them tethered (leashes attached to the frame of the dodger). There's also netting all around (which has saved a winch handle more than once).

The dogs sleep in the main cabin, on the port side settee. Humans sleep in the v-berth.

On and off the boat... they jump from the stbd gate to the dinghy. From dinghy to boat, they need a boost and the handle on the PFD really helps.

Happy to answer any questions.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
viv
LIBERTY

Gordon Setter on a Cape Dory

Post by viv »

Bob,
I also have a trusty companion who happens to be a Gordon Setter. You have inspired me to elavate him to First Mate on "Liberty" (CD25). Where did you get your PFD for your Gordon?
It is great to see other Gordon Setter / Cape Dory owners in the world (a small and proud group).
John
Illegitimus non carborundum
grabhamb

Gordon Setters & Cape Dories

Post by grabhamb »

John - We got ours at a local PetSmart or Petco, one of the two. As you are aware with the deep chest on Gordon Setters, it's difficult to find one that fits well. We took Murdock to the pet store with us and had him try several on. The one we chose has two straps that fit underneath and it does seem to work well. I know that Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain both stock similar vests, but at a bit steeper price.

Gordon Setters on Cape Dories is probably a pretty small club. You and I are the only members so far. Any others out there?
Bob Grabham,
S/V Hunky Dory
Regent Point Marina
Topping, VA
Drew

Dogs

Post by Drew »

Labs should do well - I've a neurotic beagle mix who bounces around quite a bit but doesn't do any real damage. On her first three-day cruise, we didn't make it to shore in time for her morning constitutional one day. She made efficient use of the swim platform, giving new meaning to "poop deck." I was so proud....

Doggie PFD's with big handles are especially important on a CD28 as they will allow you to retrieve a DOB with a boat hook. Your dogs are heavier than mine, but at least you'd have a fighting chance to get them back....
Troy Scott

Yorkie on board

Post by Troy Scott »

My Yorkie likes the boat. He has his own tiny flotation vest/harness which has thankfully never actually been tested. He does hate the noise the winches make. But he loves to watch and interact with birds and dolphins. He's paper-trained, so that's not a problem. The only problem is that these tiny dogs are delicate. If a lot of maneuvering is anticipated, he has to go below. And Yorkies don't shed.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Another Member of Cape Dory - Gordon Setter Club

Post by Doug Gibson »

We have two Gordon Setters (brother and sister) who have yet to lay eyes or set paws on the Cape Dory. While I like our dogs, I just can't imagine the two of them settling down on the boat... they tend to set each other off and the female is a bit neurotic (our special needs dog!). My wife, on the other hand, has been wanting to enlist them as crew since they were puppies.

Anyway, glad to hear it works for you and your Gordon.

I'm glad my wife doesn't frequent the board... if she knew Gordon Setters were sailing on Cape Dorys, I would probably have to give in!
Doug Gibson
Troy Scott

dogs on board

Post by Troy Scott »

Any dog needs to start out as a puppy on a boat. Never take an older, inexperienced dog on a boat. The first time or two just needs to be quiet and especially enjoyable for the dog. Take a few of the toys from home. Easy does it after that. Never force the dog. Let the dog think it's his/her idea. Dogs are like children. Make sure they wear a PFD. Some breeds will be better than others. A dog that bounces off the walls at home will probably drive you nuts on the boat. They can't wear deck shoes, and they can slip easily. Keep the toenails cut short. If the sailing will be intense, leave the dog at home.
Regards,
Troy Scott
kerlandsen

I have seen the dogs

Post by kerlandsen »

Neil Gordon wrote:The labs are about 65 lbs each. Shedding aside, there are no issues sailing with them. No scratching and no chewing. Note that we sail with two humans and two dogs. More of either category would get crowded.

The dogs are well walked before we start and are good for six hours or so before they need to land.

Sailing, they tend to prefer sleeping on the leeward side or on the cockpit sole. Roxy (my chocolate) has been sailing for 10 years (since 6 months) and pretty much taught herself to "tack." Action in the cockpit will wake her and she goes to the other side rather than slide off as leeward becomes the new windward.

Both dogs were PFDs and I keep them tethered (leashes attached to the frame of the dodger). There's also netting all around (which has saved a winch handle more than once).

The dogs sleep in the main cabin, on the port side settee. Humans sleep in the v-berth.

On and off the boat... they jump from the stbd gate to the dinghy. From dinghy to boat, they need a boost and the handle on the PFD really helps.

Happy to answer any questions.
Spent the night near the dogs this past weekend. I felt bad for the human kind that had to do the upwind rowing after the dogkind did their dogbusiness. It looks like they all get along just fine.
Kyle
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I have seen the dogs

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerlandsen wrote:Spent the night near the dogs this past weekend.
Sorry they were asleep in the cabin when you passed by. Thanks for the post and we'll all try to be awake the next time.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Queen Elvis

Re: dogs on board

Post by Queen Elvis »

Troy Scott wrote:Any dog needs to start out as a puppy on a boat. Never take an older, inexperienced dog on a boat.
I take both my dogs out - and one of them was 13 before she went out for the first time. She tries to climb back on board when we get back to the dock, so she obviously likes it.

The other is a 10-month old pit puppy, who I expected to be more of a problem. After trying to chase the JetSkis first time out, he now just chills out at my feet, but he's an exceptionally calm puppy.

So it all depends on the dog.
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Mali, the 14 pound Podengo, just accompanied us on a nine-day cruise, and was worth twice her weight in smiles. She jumps into the dinghy, and went ashore evening and morning, which is not so hard when sailing around Maine islands. She shifts from spot to spot on the boat, and doesn't seem to like sliding around when we're heeling hard, but she deals with it. I have a little soft cube that she likes to get in, and maybe I'll fix it to cockpit seat so she doesn't slide so far. We took out the V cushions and use the space for stowage, so Mali bunks with one of us. The little bit of crowding is well worth the pleasure she brings. Mali is six, and as far as I know this is her first sailing summer, though she's ridden a lot of miles on a motorcycle.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Kquist
1981 CD 30c
Hull # 194
East Greenwich, RI
CD 10, Hull #100 to be restored

Post by Kquist »

We have a 2 1/2 year old Schipperke who loves to be on the water. We have always been able to get him to shore for walks but now that we are buying a CD I'm curious as to how he will adjust to spending many hours on board.
Kelle & Walt Quist
Rowe, MA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails."
Mark Twain
Tom Keevil

dogs

Post by Tom Keevil »

Schooner, our Portuguese Water Dog has sailed with us since he was a puppy, and it's hard to imagine not having him along. He has spent as long as 5 months cruising on the boat full time.

He's not all that keen about heeling or big ocean swells, but he hunkers down and goes to sleep. If it gets really bad he will ask to go below, but usually he is in the cockpit with us. He knows the drill about coming about, and switches sides. He wears a harness, and we keep him tethered at all times when underway. This not only keeps him safe, but also keeps him out of the way at times when you really don't need a dog underfoot.

He doesn't shed, which is a blessing, but he manages to track a huge amount of crud aboard, so our boat is always a bit on the dirty side, and our dinghy is usually a disgrace.

He has survived overnight sails, and will go on the deck if he's really desperate, but he much prefers to go ashore. We usually row him ashore after breakfast, after we're anchored, and after dinner. Taking the dog ashore actually adds quite a bit to a cruise. It gets you off the boat when it would be so much easier to stay aboard. The result is that, wandering around, you discover all sorts of interesting things that you otherwise never would have seen. You also get many great photographs from spots you never would have visited at times of day or in weather you otherwise wouldn't have left the boat. In remote areas we make a lot of noise, and have never had an encounter with bears, cougars or wolves.

We have a hard dinghy and a midship boarding ladder which he negotiates easily. He goes up and down the ladder into the cabin easily enough, but usually needs some psychological encouragement. We sleep in the V-berth, he sleeps wherever else he wants - usally on a settee; if it's hot, he prefers the head.

He's a great help in water conservation and garbage management, as he happily precleans all the pots and dishes.

Sailing with a dog is no different than living with a dog - usually they're great to have around, and occasionally they're a real pain in the neck.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC