new engine for CD 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Linkinhoker
Henderson Harbor

new engine for CD 30

Post by Steve Linkinhoker »

My CD 30 is going to need a new engine and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the make and model. I do know the current MD7A I have is very underpowered and right now doesn't have enough compression to turn over without removing the alternator belt. I also wonder if anyone has attempted the replacement by themselves.
chase

yanmar

Post by chase »

Steve,

Many CD30's are repowered with Yanmar 2GM20's which is an 18 hp engine. The PO of my boat repowered and added new mounts, exhaust, seacock, and fuel and water filtration.

Sorry no help with DIY, but I am very pleased with the motor installation. It pushes the boat along fine in current and into fresh winds with three-blade prop. It is also very efficient.

Chase
russkendall

Post by russkendall »

Steve:

My CD 30 was repowered with a Yanmar 18 HP diesel a few years before we bought it. The engine is reliable, thrifty and tireless. The only problem we've ever had with it was a mixing elbow that apparently filled with hard-packed carbon and eventually closed shut, requiring replacment (about $500 all told.) I know people who are aware of this problem and occasionally clean the elbow out with wire to prevent such a thing from happening.

Good luck,

Russ
Ron M.

What a difference

Post by Ron M. »

I did a repower myself, 2 years ago. The original yanmar ysb12 was underpowered, noisy, and vibrated horribly.
I installed a Volvo d1-20. With 3 cylinders and 18 hp it runs quiet and smooth with plenty of power. It weighs in at a little over 200 lbs.
Without a doubt the most significant improvement I have made to the boat........and the most expensive.
Plan on replacing the entire drive train, trans., shaft, prop, seal, etc.
A new Racor fuel filter while you're at it.
I had to modify the engine bed and mounts somewhat, but it wasn't that much of a job.
I removed the entire port side galley, it gave much more access to the engine compartment.
I chose Volvo primarily because I got the best deal on the engine/trans. package. Yanmar, Beta, Vetus, are fine motors as well.
Good luck
________
HONDA CB400F
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
PollyCD30

Post by PollyCD30 »

Hi Steve,

I'm also facing a repower of our Cape Dory 30. I'm considering a new Volvo, Yanmar, Westerbeke or Universal - all are 18 hp engines. I'm shopping around on the Internet for the best deal.

Although my current Universal runs well, it's 25 years old, is rusty and needs a new transmission. I'm also considering having the engine rebuilt, but don't know exactly what is included, how expensive, etc.

Let me know what you decide to do as I need some help!

Thanks, Dave
Polly
Ben Thomas

Repowers

Post by Ben Thomas »

Folks, If you are shopping around for repowering, please do give me a call or email. I am the Beta dealer here in Oregon.
Engines are shipped out of North Carolina.
After repowering my CD 30 with the Beta 20/v-drive (Volvo MD7A/Walters v-drive old system) I have the dimensions for and new stringers that make the switch very easy.
They bolt/epoxy right on to existing beds.
Have sold several sets and engines to other Board members at discounts.
Hard to refrain from adding posts to these threads.
Best regards, Ben