Free Chart Viewing - Still possible?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Barthel

Free Chart Viewing - Still possible?

Post by Dick Barthel »

My son just rebuilt my computer and my demo software from Maptech which allowed me to read the Raster Navigational Charts downloaded free from the NOAA website was wiped out. The NOAA site still provides a link to Maptech for the free demo software "Chart Navigator" but the web page link tells you it has been deleted. I also tried going directly to Maptech and got the same results.

I'm just really looking for a way to read the charts for planning purposes at home. I'd rather not spend the $250 for the actual software since I don't use it that much.

I also noted on that NOAA site that the "Chartserver" that permits the free chart down loading will be discontinued 10/09 and replaced by the "Chartdownloader" which is already operational and allows you to view the chart immediately without any other software but does not seem to allow the interplay like plotting, selecting waypoints, etc. Maybe those files can also be read by the Maptech demo software (if its still available)?

I know there are a lot more tech savvy members then I so perhaps there is a solution for my minor dilemma?

Thanks,

Dick
tartansailor

re Free Chart Viewing - Still possible?

Post by tartansailor »

Dick,
I have Maptech, and for a variety of reasons, wish to learn how to
email, or send a program over the internet.
[Nothing to do with Maptech]

If we have a computer guru in our midst who would be willing to post the regimen, then I would be glad to share what I have.

In the accompanying Maptech literature, I find no prohibition against sharing.
[/i]
Dick[/i]
barfwinkle

SeaClear II

Post by barfwinkle »

Dick do a search for SeaClear II. I should work for you.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Tod Mills

Dick, anymore, I visit this page a lot...

Post by Tod Mills »

http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/

It is a marriage of google map with noaa charts....

Tod
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Post by Sea Owl »

I recently downloaded SeaClear II from NOAA and their charts, all free! Does exactly what you are looking for! Took a little playing around to get it downloaded, i.e. figuring out what to click (which unfortunately, I did not write down). I will see if I still have the down load to email you.

The easiest way to email an program (*.exe file) is to rename it from (as an example) SeaClear.exe to SeaClear.bob and email it. You need to make sure the recipient knows to rename it and the correct extension to put on it, and that what you sent is OK to open when changed......
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Free Chart Viewing - Sea Clear

Post by Sea Owl »

I just went out, since I felt bad, and reworked how to get setup.

Getting SeaClear:

Got to http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

Scroll down to "Downloads" and click on

"SeaClear II Full install sc_setup.exe ~ 2 Mb. With English Manual."

Follow directions to install.

Getting Charts:

go to NOAA:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/

Click on "Download files by State" for US charts - it is pretty much self explanatory from there.

You can pick which area/state you want charts for. Most come in folders for each chart with two formats: .BSB and .KAP. You can do this initial download to any directory you want. For SeaClear to read the charts, they have to be moved to the SeaClear chart file.

SeaClear reads the .KAP format. Move the .KAP files to the "Chart" file under the SeaClear directory in your computer (Normally this will be OS (C:)/Program Files/SeaClear/charts

Once you get the charts there, you have to initialize them in SeaClear. This is done using an application that does NOT show up on your desktop following the SeaClear installation, but is in the SeaClear directory, and is called MapCal_2. Run that, and it will 'find' any charts in the SeaClear Chart directory and enter them into the database. After that, you can look at any chart you want.

In fact, if you go to the edge of a chart and double click, it takes you to the best (i.e. most detailed) chart you have that covers that area. Really neat! Moves your planned route and all points over as relevant, too! Great for planning cruises/day routes!

Good luck, I have gotten good use out it! If you have a laptop, power, and a handheld GPS you can plug the GPS into the laptop with SeaClear, and it will act as a chartplotter too, showing your boat moving on the chart, and tracking your actual route. Too much for my small boat, but the planning aspect is awesome - especially for free!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
tartansailor

Now That!

Post by tartansailor »

Sea Owl,

Now that is what I call a real positive contribution to
the body of knowledge here. I have to save that.
Much appreciated.

Dick
Dick Barthel

Thanks everyone! nm

Post by Dick Barthel »

nm
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Free Chart Viewing - Still possible?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick Barthel wrote:I'm just really looking for a way to read the charts for planning purposes at home.
Dick,

Zoom in on Boston Harbor and the Harbor Islands and start studying the chart!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

The Great Lakes Cruising Club has, on their home page, charts for the entire world:

http://www.glcclub.com/
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Elbloch

Re: Free Chart Viewing - Sea Clear

Post by Elbloch »

Sea Owl wrote:I just went out, since I felt bad, and reworked how to get setup.

Getting SeaClear:

Getting Charts:

go to NOAA:

Click on "Download files by State" for US charts - it is pretty much self explanatory from there.

You can pick which area/state you want charts for. Most come in folders for each chart with two formats: .BSB and .KAP. You can do this initial download to any directory you want. For SeaClear to read the charts, they have to be moved to the SeaClear chart file.

SeaClear reads the .KAP format. Move the .KAP files to the "Chart" file under the SeaClear directory in your computer (Normally this will be OS (C:)/Program Files/SeaClear/charts

Once you get the charts there, you have to initialize them in SeaClear. This is done using an application that does NOT show up on your desktop following the SeaClear installation, but is in the SeaClear directory, and is called MapCal_2. Run that, and it will 'find' any charts in the SeaClear Chart directory and enter them into the database. After that, you can look at any chart you want.

In fact, if you go to the edge of a chart and double click, it takes you to the best (i.e. most detailed) chart you have that covers that area. Really neat! Moves your planned route and all points over as relevant, too! Great for planning cruises/day routes!

Good luck, I have gotten good use out it! If you have a laptop, power, and a handheld GPS you can plug the GPS into the laptop with SeaClear, and it will act as a chartplotter too, showing your boat moving on the chart, and tracking your actual route. Too much for my small boat, but the planning aspect is awesome - especially for free!
Thanks for the detailed instructions, which application should we use for MAC's? SeaClear is windows only.......
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Elbloch wrote:
Sea Owl wrote:I just went out, since I felt bad, and reworked how to get setup.

Getting SeaClear:

Getting Charts:

go to NOAA:

Thanks for the detailed instructions, which application should we use for MAC's? SeaClear is windows only.......
Sea Owl hasn't posted in the forum for 8 years. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Elbloch wrote:Thanks for the detailed instructions, which application should we use for MAC's? SeaClear is windows only.......
I would suggest OpenCPN: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/newspgJ.html
They have Linux, Mac and Windoze versions...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

mgphl52 wrote:I would suggest OpenCPN: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/newspgJ.html...
Without question, this is the way to go. In the view of many if not most cruising sailors and offshore veterans, OpenCPN outpaces all other offerings, period.

Note: A new version (4.8.2) just became available.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

NOAA makes it pretty east to look at any chart. You can even print the booklet charts. Just start with the online chart locator at:
https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay