What kind of fuel am I?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

I just replaced the carb on my Mariner due to bad or stale fuel. The issue started at the end of last season just as I was trying to head out on a 3 day voyage. Lesson learned, keep the fuel fresh whether with stabilizer or just staying current and running it dry. One of the reasons all my chainsaws run so well....they are used everyday non stop for 8 to 10 hours, running at high rpms and are replenished with fresh fuel daily. Don't let it sit in the tank its the death of any 2 stroke. Not sure why I thought I could let my boat engine sit there for months at a time without running and expect it to work on demand.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Just a brief follow up to the issue of additives to fuel (gas or diesel).

My O/B failed again the other day. Finally discovered the problem. Bottom line is the tiny pin hole in pilot jet was clogged with debri. Had to blow it out with an air gun. Now running great.

Because I live in South Florida my O/B is my lifeline to get S/V Tadpole to a hurricane hole. Because of the hurricane hole's location, sailing in is really not an option. The O/B must work when needed. Failure is not an option.

I have now talked with 8-10 mechanics, including diesel mechanics. Everyone I have talked with recommends Startron. There are also several websites (they may be "chat rooms" :?: ) that have discussions on Startron. Everyone who uses it seems to like it.

I plan to buy it and use it in every gallon I put into my O/B. The more research I have done the more I think that the product called "Sta-Bil", which I had been using, is more for winter storage of fuel. If I understand the literature correctly, it does not really solve the issue of water or moisture in the fuel. I am told Startron works in both gas and diesel engines. A diesel mechanic I respect a lot recommends Startron also.

The disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with nor interest in the company.

An aside. Got out sailing yesterday in Biscayne Bay. Planned on a 2 hour sail. Forecast was 8-10 kts steady easterlies. After 40 minutes, heard on the sailing club's VHF channel that I was monitoring by accident that a strong storm was moving East over the Bay. Lowered sails and motored back, discretion being the better part of valor.

Hope to get out again Friday or Saturday.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Sea Hunt wrote:...

I have now talked with 8-10 mechanics, including diesel mechanics. Everyone I have talked with recommends Startron. There are also several websites (they may be "chat rooms" :?: ) that have discussions on Startron. Everyone who uses it seems to like it....
Thanks for the tip on Startron. I will check it out.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where your fuel can make an ash out of you,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

another good tip

Post by boom2it »

if you don't already do this you should. Shut your engine down, (talking outboards), by shutting off the fuel valve/switch to burn the fuel from the carburetor, rather then just using the stop switch. This will help to keep "gunk" from forming by fuel left sitting in the carburetor. Of course I learned this the hard way.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
hughesw

Star-Tron

Post by hughesw »

Sea Hunt,

I took your recommendation and tried Star-Tron this past weekend. I've been having issues with my 5 hp 2 cycle Mercury which are all probably directly related to ethanol, water in the gas, dirty carb, dirty filters, etc. I've been using SeaFoam hoping that would clear out the carb issues, and I think it has helped.

A couple of weeks ago, I ended up disposing of all the old gas, replaced the external fuel tank and gas line, as well as the fuel filter and a fresh spark plug, so that I could start off with a fresh tank of gas. But the motor was still sputtering and hard to start.

This weekend I added Star-Tron to a fresh (3 gal) tank of gas, and the motor purred like a kitten all weekend. I can't say for sure that it was the Star-Tron that made the difference - it may just as well have been having my wife along (SWMBO).

It's hot here in Georgia; most every day is in the upper 90's and the wind sucks, rather than blows. Consequently we ended up motoring a lot with the intention of anchoring out to watch for Meteorites (Perseid Meteor Shower) - didn't see a single one, but it was a beautiful, warm moonlit night to be out.

Warren
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Star-Tron

Post by Sea Hunt »

hughesw wrote:Sea Hunt,

I took your recommendation and tried Star-Tron this past weekend.

Warren
Warren:

Thanks for your kind words but, to clarify, I am not "recommending" Startron. I was told by several mechanics that they use and like the stuff. I am trying it. It is really their recommendation. If it works great. If not, well, blame the mechanics :wink: I always do :D

Because I live in the epicenter of "hurricane alley" and have very little sailing skills, I must have a O/B that works every time in order to get me safely to a hurricane hole. No sailing into the hole - not even for the likes of Oswego John, Neil G., John V., Fred a/k/a Fenix, et al. with all of their sailing skills. :)

I am putting some in the O/B this week for the first time. I decided to finish up the gas in the tank. It seemed to be working OK so no reason to throw away "money".
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097