standard horizon chartplotter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Specifically anyone have the 7" CP300(i) ?

Any feedback?

We have a Garmin and have been pretty happy with it but this is a little bigger. We like that the Garmin is so easy/intuitive to use. But the CP300i has a pretty good price for it's size. (except you have to buy the charts as well).

We have SH handheld VHFs that have been wonderful.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Well, I broke down and just ordered it so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Want it in time for our vacation cruise.

In theory it has an ability to set up a split screen and look at 2 levels of detail of the chart "independent zoom levels". Way cool. :-)
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Steve Zwicky
Hull #24 Charleston, SC

Post by Steve Zwicky »

Hi Melissa, I'm was very interested in this unit but came across the CPF300i which includes a fishfinder/depth sounder display that can be used on split or full screen. It costs around $730.00 inline and the transducer would run about $90.00. I have an SH vhf so it should interface nicely. Will order it this weekend. Looking forward to hearing how yours works for you. Steve
Steve Zwicky
"Lauretta" - CD26
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hi Steve, received it, haven't actually tried it on the boat yet but have played a lot in the backyard ;-) It's very nice. Good readability, intuitive interface. Wicked easy to make a route. Even tells you if the route you made goes over some minimum depth. Love the split screen. Good customer service for the things I called/emailed them about.

(Disclaimer: I am actually a Garmin stockholder and have nothing to do with Standard Horizon. Still love my Garmin :-) ).

If you get yours and the software is not 16.01 (the latest) then you can get an upgrade card from the C-map people (Jeppeson Marine) (They do the software for that chartplotter) Good people to deal with.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Steve Zwicky
Hull #24 Charleston, SC

Post by Steve Zwicky »

Hi Melissa, Glad to hear you like the unit as I haven't actually seen one yet. Appreciate the tip re: the card. Will let you know how it works out. I'm ordering the video secu wall mount from Amazon that another CDer recommends ($25.00). Steve
Steve Zwicky
"Lauretta" - CD26