Pressurized Fresh Water Pump -- Keeps on going

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

petes

Pressurized Fresh Water Pump -- Keeps on going

Post by petes »

The fresh water pump (Mfg. Bristol Products) on my '85 CD30C simply will not shut off. (I've blown off one water line due to the pressure it still can build.

If I have to purchase a new pump I guess that is the way it goes. However, I believe all I need is a new pressure switch ??

Is this pump still mfg by another supplier from whom I may get replacement parts??

If not what would be a good alternative ?

Your thoughts.

Pete S :?:
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

...bump...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Anybody able to help?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Pressure Switch

Post by Oswego John »

Without actually seeing the components, I can only offer a generalized answer. I don't know if the pressure actuator and the on/off switch are combined as a unit or are separate.

However, I would say that a separate pressure actuator could be combined with a separate switch, working off the same manifold.

The separate actuator (pressure sensitive component) should be equipped with two sets of limits. A high limit variable setting to shut the pump off at your desired high pressure. It should also have a low limit setting to turn the pump on when the pressure drops below a certain minimum pressure of your choice.

I would suggest that you should first remove the pressure actuator cover to determine if there is any damage to the bellows or whatever controls the mechanism. Check for corrosion or rust. Operate the mechanism manually. Maybe all it needs is some lubrication.

Also try to lower the high limit and see if it shuts off. Maybe it is set too high and is never able to attain the high pressure it is set for.

Any add on actuator within the required pressure parameters called for should be okay to use. Wire it in series with a service switch.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
marilou

Post by marilou »

I added a hardware store well water switch (which you can adjust with screwdriver) and small accumulator tank to eliminate the problem. A small amount of debri will cause the pump to run on and off/or continually run...I have a hot water tank, which may change the scernio...but it should not...
M. R. Bober

But first...

Post by M. R. Bober »

Try a few sharp raps (with a screwdriver handle) directly on the the switch's housing. It may just be stuck.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where today's weather is so perfect, I wish you all were here. )VA
CDSOA Founding Member
marilou

Post by marilou »

You are right, with your tap, but if you want to eliminate the need to tap...you need a accumulator tank and a adjustable switch...