thick with CDs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

thick with CDs

Post by SurryMark »

As I look around Blue Hill harbor, in my first summer with a CD, I see a 36, 33, 30, three 27s, and a 25, a typhoon that might be a regular, and a 22 to be on the mooring soon. It's like, when your shoulder hurts, everybody you meet has a bum shoulder, when you drive a Maserati, all you see are . . .

As I understand it, the 30 and one 27 have spent all their life here. Who knows, there may be more tucked away in the inner harbor or one of the coves nearby, among the other very pretty boats that live here.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Cape Dory's -Nice to see

Post by Larry DeMers »

This year, our marina of about 40 boats (remember, this is Lake Superior now, not the east coast) has been called the Cape Dorium of Lake Superior.

We now have 2 -36's (one being John Danicic's 'Mariah'), 2 -33's (one being Mike Ritenour's 'LaVida', on temporary assignment here for two years), 2 -30's (one being my 'DeLaMer'), a CD300 motor sailor, and the most beautiful little CD25 that I have ever seen. That makes 8 CD's out of 40 boats, or about 20% of the marina.

Up here, Cape Dory's have been proven to be an appropriate boat to carry you around safely, relatively quickly, and with style!

We have been asked about our boat many times over the years, and always the parting comment is that we sure have a nice 'classic' boat. Nobody makes boats that look as nice anymore.

Hah! Didn't really think that I was sailing a classic boat..just a grand boat. Made me defensive for awhile in fact, until I realized that yes indeed, a boat that is 26 years old and that was designed to a long past standard (CCA) is a classic boat by any definition. Long Live Classic Boats!

Cheers and Beers,

Larry DeMers
s/v DeLaMer
CD30 Lake Superior
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

We went canoeing on Bigalow Hollow Lake a few weeks ago. It is a fair sized, beautiful lake set deep in a "hollow" on the northern border of CT.

While paddling across we noticed a couple of masts. From quite a distance, one appeared to be a Typhoon and sure enough it was. After admiring it for a bit we paddled further along, close to shore. The next boat was on the far side of a dock, blocked from view. The fractional rig was one clew but as soon as I saw the bronze stem head stick out I knew that there was indeed a fleet of Typhoons on this small lake.

I think there might only have been one or two other sailboats of any consiquence on this lake so that would make the Cape Dory contingent about 50%.

We have a very good representation in our marina in Noank too.

I don't think there is a Ty Sr. 32 or 40 but other than that we have at least one of every length. There is even a Cape 30 which is a Ted hood design built by Cape Dory.

We have beautiful, well built and popular boats, Steve.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

CDs in our harbor

Post by moctrams »

Gabbiano spent a year "in the barn" fixing her deck while I was in Iraq. I launched her a couple of weeks ago and got a bunch of remarks about "is that a new boat and who built her"? The folks in the harbor just won't belive she is 27 years YOUNG! Gabbiano even has a new Furlex roller furling system, she sits in the water with that classic Carl Alberg low free board look and is just grand to look at. With her new look, new Agrigo stove, refrigeration, new Main, she is ready for cruising the Chesapeake when the blasted rain stops.
Dick Barthel

My marina

Post by Dick Barthel »

There are 5 or 6 CDs in my marina which is just a few miles from Steve's. In eastern CT they are every where as you would expect.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

So Many CDs

Post by Oswego John »

Hmmm,

So many CDs in such concentrated areas, you don't suspect that they breed?

Nah, probably not. Just a random thought.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dick Barthel

Nice thought though John

Post by Dick Barthel »

As long as they stay away from the Hunters and Catalinas!
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

unused CDs

Post by moctrams »

There are two Cape Dorys on the hard at our Marina. The CD30's owner died and the owner's kids don't even check her. The CD28 is in worse condition. I've been after the Marina operator for us to go in together make an offer on them, clean them up and sell them.
Clay Stalker

Spofford Lake Typhoons

Post by Clay Stalker »

We have 5 Typhoons in the mooring field at Spofford Yacht Club on Spofford Lake in New Hampshire. While not a large lake, it is known for it's windy conditions and the Typhoon owners love their boats. We also have 2 Daysailers, 2 Mariners, 2 catboats, and 2 Townies in the field as well as dry sailed fleets of Lightnings, Sunfish, and Townies. Only the Townies outnumber the Typhoons. The Ty owners are a happy bunch.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Big E
Salem, MA

Re: Nice thought though John

Post by Big E »

Dick Barthel wrote:As long as they stay away from the Hunters and Catalinas!
Let us not forget the dreaded McGregor...Bad genes!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

It's All In The Genes

Post by Oswego John »

Does anyone remember the Chrysler line of sailboats. If you do, you're an old coot. The last one was made in 1980.

O J
Hmmm. Oh oh, I remember them. So what does that make me? :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Steve- I live about 10 minutes from Bigelow Hollow and saw one of the guys launching a Ty early last summer. I asked him if he knew the lake ( there are alot of shallow areas) and he said yes so I let it at that. It seems to me the lakes awfully small to sail a typhoon in , let alone two. I used to sail an Oday Daysailer there and felt crowded. I guess if you had a house on the lake and really, REALLY liked CD's it might be ok. Maybe the owners are perusing this site, lets hear from you! Have you seen Billy's Windrider 17 sailing there?
kerlandsen

Scituate

Post by kerlandsen »

I know this location is right next to door the factory, but I saw plenty.
2 or 3 different 28's(Tantalus), 2 TySeniors, 1 26. And probably more, but I only covered the southern half of the harbor with the two boys in the dink.

Personally, I also got to see another SS 28, a SS 34, and a Luders 33, (the same Luders 33 that caused my wife to "fall for" the lines of the Luders designs)

Kyle