Aug 2-4 Northeast Fleet Rendezvous - Narragansett Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

valenteach

Dutch Harbor

Post by valenteach »

I will be a guest on a friend's mooring in Dutch Harbor, and I don't mind ferrying people as needed. The CD 24 T makes a decent launch boat, or my zodiac can handle six people. Since I am still without a sailboat (or the sails that some CD 24 Ts were outfitted with), I have to live vicariously through bona fide sailors. So I look forward to meeting everyone that attends. I know the area very well and can suggest points of interest, and a good bakery.

Mike Rejto
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Sounds good, Mike

Post by Joe Myerson »

n/m
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Myerson

23-knot gusts predicted

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hey Neil,

This morning's Buzzards Bay forecast calls for 23-knot gusts in the afternoon on Friday. But that probably does translate into 30 knots (they are always low in predicting wind velocities in upper Buzzards Bay).

Any idea how that might affect your plans?

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Mike, if you have a friend with a mooring he is willing to let you use, "know the area very well" and have found a good bakery, it doesn't sound at all like you are living vicariously through anyone.

We will be pleased to meet ya, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 23-knot gusts predicted

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:Hey Neil,

This morning's Buzzards Bay forecast calls for 23-knot gusts in the afternoon on Friday. But that probably does translate into 30 knots (they are always low in predicting wind velocities in upper Buzzards Bay).

Any idea how that might affect your plans?

--Joe
It's three days to go and the forecast might change. I'll keep an eye on it. Otherwise, I plan on rolling up the dinghy and lashing it on deck. If the forecast appears tolerable, I'll head through the canal and decide when I exit if I duck into Onset or plow into it and continue to Red Brook.

Any words of wisdom?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson

Sandwich Marina

Post by Joe Myerson »

After talking with Neil and poring over the Eldridge, Liquidity will be stopping at Sandwich Marina on Friday night. The rendezvous with Creme Brulee will be Saturday afternoon at Cuttyhunk.
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sandwich Marina

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:After talking with Neil and poring over the Eldridge, Liquidity will be stopping at Sandwich Marina on Friday night.
With this logic:

Current turns at the canal at 6:16 PM on Saturday. If I enter the canal then, I'm out at about 7:30 PM. Wind could be 25 knots or more and the waves would be high and square. With 1/2 hour to sunset, I can't turn back against the current, risky entering Red Brook at night, risky entering Onset at night, risky fighting big square waves after trekking 50 miles all day from Boston.

The alternative is to enter the canal early the following morning. The current is right and it's still a day sail to Cuttyhunk.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

See our photos....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

CLICK HERE to see the photos snapped by my husband, Bruce Halley, during the Northeast Fleet's 2009 Rendezvous at Dutch Harbor and Wickford, RI.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

...and a BIG thank you to Mike Rejto....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I want to especially thank Mike Rejto (CD24 Trawler Viola) for all his help during the rendezvous while at Wickford. First for giving up his moring to the CD25D Creme Brulee, second for helping us find a suitable mooring, and third for helping Bruce troubleshoot the starter problem with our engine. Without Mike's help we may still be "stuck" up in Wickford but we managed to make it back to our homeport.

Thanks Mike :D
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay