Aug 2-4 Northeast Fleet Rendezvous - Narragansett Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The Northeast Fleet of the CDSOA is holding their annual rendezvous August 2-4.

This year we are returning to Narragansett Bay where we will be visiting Jamestown (Dutch Harbor), Newport and Wickford.

Cape Dorys should beging arriving on Sunday, August 2nd and anchor or moor in Dutch Harbor which is located between Dutch Island and Conanicut Island in West Passage. Sunday evening will be unstructured giving the crews a chance to meet, boathop and socialize. Monday morning we'll head across the island to Jamestown's east side and take the ferry which stops at Rose Island, Fort Adams, and Bowen’s Wharf in Newport. Explore on your own or as a group. Then we'll all meet at Bowen’s Wharf by 5:30 p.m. and invade one of the local eateries for dinner. Tuesday we'll depart Dutch Harbor and head northward for Wickford. While in Wickford we'll take a ride on the M/V Sea Princess for a lighthouse cruise. There will be a catered barbecue at the yacht club in the evening.

<center> CLICK HERE for rendezvous details and the registration form.
Please register by July 20th.</center>
Carl Thunberg

Registration Deadline is July 20th

Post by Carl Thunberg »

We're under a bit of a compressed schedule for registrations, so don't delay. Line honors for the first registration form received goes to Bruce Halley and Cathy Monaghan.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Carl Thunberg

Bump.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I haven't received a lot of registrations so far. Don't delay. Get those registration forms in soon!

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Carl Thunberg

4 days left to register!

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I've received exactly four registration forms for this event. There are lots of you who've indicated your intent to come. Please register ASAP. It's the only way I can give the caterer some guidance on how much food to prepare.

Also, unless I get more registrations, I'll have to cancel the lighthouse cruise. We need at least 30 people to break even on the lighthouse cruise.

Sir Isaac Newton
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Hi Carl, the check... or a, the registration is in the mail. I had trouble printing the link of I would have sent it off earlier.

You can now expect at least 5 boats, Steve.
Dick Barthel

registration in the mail!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Carl,

Joe Montana and I are coming for the full event. I just started vacation so I'll get it in the mail this weekend. Our wives will be joining by iron horse for Newport and maybe Wickford.

Dick
valenteach

Post by valenteach »

I would like to attend as this is my back yard, so I will try to register in time.
aja

Buzzards Bay Flotilla

Post by aja »

Just wondering if anyone from Buzzards Bay (or passing thru) is interested in sailing together to the Rendezvous?

Diana
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

LI Sound Flotilla??

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All,
E.L. will depart Groton Sunday morning for Dutch Harbor. Would anyone be interested in a Flotilla??
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
The Patriot

Re: 4 days left to register!

Post by The Patriot »

Carl Thunberg wrote:I've received exactly four registration forms for this event. There are lots of you who've indicated your intent to come. Please register ASAP ...
Unfortunately we cannot attend, but we just completed a cruise through this area, stopping at Wickford and Dutch Harbor. We would encourage everyone to visit and attend the Rendezvous. These are great locations, and the ferry from Jamestown to Newport is both convenient and fun. It's also the best way to experience Newport in my view. Good luck to all.

BTW what was the outcome of the Onset gathering, which we also missed due to weather?
Carl Thunberg

Lighthouse Cruise is CANCELED

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Due to a lack of interest in the cruise, we've decided to cancel the Lighthouse Cruise. Those of you who sent in money for the cruise will be receiving a refund. I think folks are looking for ways to cut costs and this cruise was one of them.

The rest of the Rendezvous is going ahead as planned. You now have some "found" time to stroll through Wickford and admire the period architecture!

Sir Isaac Newton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Buzzards Bay fleet

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Diana,

I can't speak for the other Buzzards Bay CDers, but Creme Brulee is planning to meet up with Liquidity on Friday night and head, probably for Cuttyhunk, on Saturday. From there, it should be an easy trip to Dutch Harbor.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Buzzards Bay fleet

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:I can't speak for the other Buzzards Bay CDers, but Creme Brulee is planning to meet up with Liquidity on Friday night and head, probably for Cuttyhunk, on Saturday.
Technically, I'm not a Buzzards Bay CDer, although that might be debatable once I'm through the Canal.

Anyway, my plan, as Joe said, is to hit the Canal late afternoon on Friday and spend the night in Red Brook Harbor. If it's getting late and wind and waves are in my face, I might duck into Onset and catch up with Creme Brulee on Saturday morning.

Anyone else coming down from my side of the Canal?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has plans to sail out of Noank between 9:30 and 10:00. This seems like a civil hour. It will give the wind a chance to pick up and the tide is right. Mainly, we get to sleep late and have a leisurely start to our two week cruise. It should put us in Dutch Harbor around 5:00.

Looking forward to seeing everybody, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Anyone else notice the 30 knot gusts in the forecast for Friday? Sounds like a fun time exiting the Canal.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698