Strange lever on my YSM-8R

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cguthrie

Strange lever on my YSM-8R

Post by cguthrie »

Hi folks, I put an old YSM8 in my CD27, replacing my defunct Westerbeke 13. I love it and it's great to be back in the water -- the only thing I miss is the bit of extra power, but the boat sits better, the engine is quieter and simpler, and there is enough room around it to actually service it.

One question: there is a lever on the left side under the air intake. The manual labels it something like a "pressure release valve" but doesn't say anything about what it does or what is the normal running position. Thanks in advance!
Cliff Guthrie
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

There are 2 valves I know of on the left side near the intake tube. One is a drain valve to drain the water from water jacket near the cylinder head. Two is the decompression lever. Mine has a black plastic handle. I've tried to manual start the engine but the crank handle does nothing to turn the flywheel when I turn it. It just spins. The decompression lever is used to manual start the motor. I tried this in the rare case I ever fully drain the batteries.
cguthrie

Ah, decompression lever!

Post by cguthrie »

Yes, that's the name. Mine has a gray plastic end that looks like a thumb should go there. But which is the ordinary running position -- folded in or extended out?
Cliff Guthrie
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I really don't have a clew which way the lever should go.

If the engine runs it should be in the right position. I believe you should also be able to hear air rushing out at the valve when you crank the engine when it is in the pressure release position. Without compression you get no ignition of diesel fuel but the engine will turn easily.

Those hand crank starters always seemed like a good thing to hurt yourself with, Steve.