Typhoon Sr bilge pump installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dulcinea
"Pandora"
Norfolk, Virginia

Typhoon Sr bilge pump installation

Post by Dulcinea »

I am at the final stages of restoring my Typhoon Sr and am planning to install an electric bilge pump in addition to the Whale manual pump.
I would like to avoid creating a thruhull and am wondering if anyone has run the hose to the motor well. Any advice or discussion regarding pump and hose installation/placement is welcomed. Thanks-
Frank
Jack Laudermilk
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Senior, Gracie, Duxbury, Massachusetts

Post by Jack Laudermilk »

I mounted an Edson manual pump to the bulkhead in starboard locker and ran the hose high as I could aft and exited inside the motor well. Access to the motor well is the problem but I cut a round access hole in the sidewall in the well and covered with a standard round access cover and sealed it temporarily. I will replace that with a solid fiberglass plate (well sealed) off season now that I know it works well. Water in the well does work its way high up on the side of the access plate when under power so I think a solid 1/4 inch fiberglass blank as a semi-permanent cover is best.