toilet smell

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GB
La Pointe, Madeline Island, Lake Superior

toilet smell

Post by GB »

Any tips on order coming from the head. I have a Pearson Coaster with what I believe is the original toilet. It has a flush dry and wet position on the lever. I put the blue stuff in the toilet and pump it into the holding tank. After a few uses in the beginning of the season I start to get nasty order that comes from the toilet.
gbe
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

One thing that may help is to only use fresh water for the rinse.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Russell

Post by Russell »

If the head is origonal to the boat, its likely the hose is as well. Replacing the hose with new hose could do wonders, and dont use just any hose, use the flexible white pvc hose designed specificly for waste water use.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Troy Scott

smells.....

Post by Troy Scott »

GB,

If you haven't already, check your "joker" valve. It's the simple, large one-way valve just where big hose hooks to the end of the toilet. If it's bad, material that should have stayed flushed can return to the bowl, and this includes foul air......

In addition to this, you should of course make sure you have odorless hose everywhere. One problem folks sometimes don't consider is that water left standing in the INTAKE hose can get foul from being isolated and stagnant. When this water enters the bowl, the foul smell is released. An anti-siphon valve in the intake, between the toilet pump and the bowl, might reduce the amount of standing water.....

Another place some folks install another loop is in the big hose after the toilet. This keeps some liquid in a loop to keep air from the holding tank from coming back into the cabin.
Regards,
Troy Scott
russkendall

Post by russkendall »

GB:

You might also check the holding tank for cracks or leaks. I'm in the middle of a odor prevention project myself. When I took the vee berths off I was appalled to find that my Kracor holding tank had an 8 inch crack on the upper port corner that contributed smell as well as actual effluent (if the tank was full or if we were heeled far enough over. Eww.) I ordered a replacment holding tank from a company in Tustin CA called Ronco Plastics (www.ronco-plastics.net) for about half what Kracor wanted to charge me for a replacment tank.

Russ Kendall
Bellingham, WA