shorter tiller?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

shorter tiller?

Post by SurryMark »

Has anyone shortened the tiller on a 27, to make a little more passenger room? I was thinking of cutting off some, and then making a stainless piece that could fit over the standing part and the cut-off part, when a longer tiller is needed to get under the dodger, or when there's a whole lot of weather helm. Or do folks just stand up and raise the tiller when there are three or four passengers? Or do you lash them to the pulpit? I haven't yet had this boat in anything over 12-15 knots of wind, so this could be a very bad idea. . . . thx for your thoughts.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
CaptJester

The tiller job....

Post by CaptJester »

Hi Mark -

My CD 26 came with a shortened tiller. The PO removed the old tiller and fashioned a shorter "base" with a stainless steel rod that extended.

Worked like a charm and I had her in 25+ conditions from time to time. I highly recommend you do it......

PM me and I will send you a pic
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

"stand up and raise the tiller when there are three or four passengers"

It's a small cockpit for daysailing entertainment.

I'd be interested in how your modification works out.
SurryMark

catalina talk

Post by SurryMark »

Drysuit:
I haven't done it yet, but here's a Catalina group discussion on shortening tillers:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum ... C_ID=20000
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: catalina talk

Post by Neil Gordon »

SurryMark wrote:Drysuit:
I haven't done it yet, but here's a Catalina group discussion on shortening tillers:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum ... C_ID=20000
Here are my takeaways from the Catalina thread:

Their tillers either break often or the owners worry about them breaking often. Shorter might actually be better for them. I've not seen the broken tiller issue come up on this board.

There were several comments to the effect that the shortened tiller was not a problem in light to medium wind. To me, that's not good enough. I want to know that I can effectively steer for hours when the wind is worse than "medium."

Tiller's pretty easy to change. Rather than cut one, I'd be tempted to buy a shorter one and keep the more robust one on hand. Before doing either though, I'd tape or otherwise mark off the "extra" part of the tiller and see if you're comfortable steering/sailing that way.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698