Volvo Md2b vs Yanmar 2gm

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sealark
"Sea Lark"

Volvo Md2b vs Yanmar 2gm

Post by sealark »

I am looking for some advice on an engine question. I have been wanting to replace the inboard in my CD 28 - the PO removed the engine and right now I am using an outboard.

I really wanted to buy new - but I just can't afford it. Most running removals are still up there in price - and I have to worry about how long they will last - and will I just end up having to rebuild.

I have the option to get either a Volvo Md2b or a Yanmar 2GM - both for relatively cheap (couple hundred bucks) - both need to be rebuilt (not running but not seized) - both are probably over 25 years old.

I have the ability to do most of the rebuild work myself - other than any machining that may need done.

I have very little knowledge (peformance wise) of either of these 2 engines. Every sailboat I have owned had Universal Diesels.

What should I do? Should I rebuild one of these? Either one better for getting parts? How much can I reasonably expect to spend on rebuilding. Is it worth rebuilding an over 20 year old motor. How much usefull life can I expect out of rebuild?

Any advice is appreciated.
brian w

Post by brian w »

I'm not sure where you're located, but getting Volvo parts in the northeast is not always easy. Yanmar parts in contrast can typically be found in most marine stores. others may have had different experiences, but that's what I've found.

-Brian
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Thoughts on installing an old engine

Post by sgbernd »

Depending on how much of a "project" guy you are, this may not be a great idea for the following reasons;
1) Parts on some of these old engines are difficult to find amazingly expensive when you do. I have an old Volvo and prices for some of the castings are shocking. (thermostat housing $359, exhaust manifold about $1000). If you have a couple or three dead ones, maybe you could mate them.
2) Depending on the age and use of the engine, it may be worn out. For example, assume you replace the rings, grind the crank, install new bearings, surface the valves, boil out the rust, rebuild the injectors, and are pleased with so much money you saved. You install the engine only to discover the injector pump and rear transmission seal are leaking. So out it comes again and another $1000+ gets spent and you dont go sailing the next two months. Of course, the alternative is to plan to rework everything on the engine as part of the rebuild, but then the cost climbs.
3) I would recommend looking for an engine already running with some history. A running takeout by somebody who wants more power, boat got trashed in a hurricaine, builder died, etc. While there is still risk, just seeing it start/run and inspecting for leaks/knocks/smoke/water in oil is a huge risk reducer. If you can talk to the PO, even better.
jmdild

Post by jmdild »

I will be removing a running Volvo MD2B in the next month to install a Beta 25. I plan to go offshore and want the assurance of a new engine. The Volvo will be for sale if you are interested.
Or the Beta line of engines is a good option.