Packing flax

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tmsc

Packing flax

Post by tmsc »

Does anyone know what size packing flax is used for the rudder stuffing box on the CD33. Thanks.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Lee..... 1/4" packing. I use the Gortex packing on my 33.
Zeida
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Lee,

I switched to the Gortex packing this year and so far I can't say enough good things about it. The pan under my Perkins has never been so dry.

Jeff
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Thanks for the info. I usually use the teflon packing. I will check the Gortex packing out.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Maine Sail

As much

Post by Maine Sail »

As much as I love Gore GFO I will not use it on my rudder and instead use natural flax with teflon.

The ABYC warns against the use of graphite impregnated stuffing, even in prop shafts, but if allowed to drip some and you run the motor enough galvanic issues & crevice corrosion should not be an issue. In a rudder box however it does not spin and needs to be drip free. This could lead to accelerated galvanic issues and crevice corrosion between the graphite and stainless. Because the graphite sits higher on the galvanic scale the stainless rudder shaft could become the anode..

Here's a photo of what is happening in someGore GFO installations where the owner has made it drip free even though you should not.

-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles